cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree Suggestions after mortgage closes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App Spree Suggestions after mortgage closes?

Hi! I would like some suggestions. We are very close to closing on our first home and I'd like to go on an app spree the day of. I didn't realize the impact that having more lines of available credit could have on my score, so I missed the opportunity to app (even if it was for secured cards) 6 months ago when I began rebuilding to qualify for the home. I only have a Home Depot card and a Capital One Qs. I've had both for about 10 years with modest limits. Other than that, I have no other revolving credit. I always PIF (or pretty close) every month.

So, to continue the rebuild before my credit takes another hit for the mortgage reporting, I plan to app for a Barclay Rewards. But that is honestly the only card I have any idea about. Considering my scores in my signature and our income of $147k, any suggestions. This is purely to take advantage of rewards and credit boost since I plan to continue to PIF every month. Not to get a bunch of credit and max it out. I've already learned my lesson there.  I want to bump my score to refi my car in 6 months and we will also do a streamlined VA refi on the new house after 6 payments to qualify for lower APR.

So, if this were you and you were going on an app spree, what other cards would you apply for?

TIA!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: App Spree Suggestions after mortgage closes?

Your income is good, but honestly your scores are rather low. It's going to be hard to be approved for anything, even Barclays. They pull TU and I think they like to see at least 650-660 minimum. Most likely would have to recon to get approved.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I have the Barclay's RMC and I was approved earlier this year with a 630 credit score.  They pulled transunion when I applied.  However, it varies from person to person. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bankcard TU is 655, so if Barclay's pulls that I should be approved. Yes, I understand that I am not going to be approved for major cards or limits. But I want to get my score up and I need more lines of credit to do that so I will try anyway Smiley Wink.

So my original question was, considering my profile, what would you app for? I know my scores are not great yet and I'm working to remedy that so I honestly don't need to hear that they aren't great so don't even try.

Looking for positivity Smiley Happy. I know that there are cards out there I would be approved for, so I am looking for those suggestions pretty please Smiley Wink.

Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Not trying to bring you down by any means. Sorry if it came off that way. Just being realistic. But yes some people have found luck with Barclays even with lower scores. What kind of card are you looking for though?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I would wait until your morgage hit the CR. Could bring the scores up a bit.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I want Barclay Rewards. I was also thinking Lowe's since i would use it with the new house and PIF. I was also thinking Target because I shop there a lot but I also have a Red Card debit and it offers the same benefits of 5% off and free shipping so I don't really see the advantage of that.

I no longer travel as much so travel rewards are not really an advantage anymore. I was looking for cards with cash back rewards (without limits if possible) that I could just use to pay the regular things I already pay for like groceries, gas, utilities, etc, but be able to put them on the card and PIF. In order to build my credit profile using funds I already spend and maybe getting a few rewards $ as well.

I am a Platinum Member with American Airlines and Diamond with Hilton so perhaps those types of cards would work as well if only to increase my points but I don't think I would qualify for them right now. I do agree that paying the mortgage on time for 6 months will likely have a very positive effect on my score. Just trying to not leave a bunch of points on the table, and also if I could get free reward $ for doing so, why not try?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.