Did you mean: 

Applied for Discover Motiva I thought But got Discover HSBC! Help

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Applied for Discover Motiva I thought But got Discover HSBC! Help

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@john398 wrote:

the card and not have it report? I know that the hard inq remains, but it stinks to have an account reporting that you really didn't apply for. Smiley Tongue

That's odd when I got this card from HSBC it did get some kind of rewards

But were they the rewards from Discover? --as opposed to a separate rewards structure from HSBC. That's what I was attempting to say, lol.

Oh ok, yeah I think it is a different reward struture, I was thinking you were saying no rewards period

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was issued this card in 2008, as a counter offer to a regular Discover. I recieved the card but did not activate it. I do not remember rewards of any kind! My suggestion to you is that if you plan on keeping it , call customer service and tell them the annual fee is too high (threaten not to activate). They will waive the first year (this has always been my experience with HSBC/Orchard). But its also important to remember your dealing with HSBC, and the chances of that card growing with you (higher limit) is very and I mean VERY slim. I have had cards with them since 2007 and although I now have lines up to $5,0000 (Discover More) HSBC will not budge.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my answer. If I were in your situation, I would keep the card for the simple fact that you do not have any other CCs. I would also call them and request that the AF be waived for the first year. And as Dameon773 said, if they don't waive it, then the option is up to you (either keep the card or trash it). It's as easy as that. Within someone who may have a damaged past and no CCs, you don't have very many options. Ultimately, you have to do what's best for you creditwise. But like I said, if it was me and I knew that I could not get the card that I wanted at the time that I wanted, but I needed something and I got something...I would be content with that and just continue to build my history from there. 

Also, regarding the rewards, just call them back and ask them. They will tell you if it does have rewards or not. If it does, that's great! If it does not, then you still have that option to either ditch the card or keep it.

Message 13 of 19
texasman07
Established Contributor

OMG I called and no one seems to know JACK about this card. Called 4 numbers. They cant tell me if the rewards website address. Does Anyone have it??? I want to know if I get cash back rewards or points or soda pop bottles or what??? I googled this too and cant find anythign about this card. Whats the deal? Am i in a wierd universe where I get a card that doesnt exist? LOL

Message 14 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

@texasman07 wrote:

OMG I called and no one seems to know JACK about this card. Called 4 numbers. They cant tell me if the rewards website address. Does Anyone have it??? I want to know if I get cash back rewards or points or soda pop bottles or what??? I googled this too and cant find anythign about this card. Whats the deal? Am i in a wierd universe where I get a card that doesnt exist? LOL

Login thru

https://www.accountcentralonline.com

should have a link that says " View and redeem rewards  "

card

Message 15 of 19
texasman07
Established Contributor

OMG thank you! Finally an answer! LOL

But i guess I have to have the card first in order to register!

Oh well, guess Ill wait but thanks for answering with some knowledge

Message 16 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

Yes you will  have to have the card....

You could try calling this # 866-551-0258 for credit analyst maybe they know more

Message 17 of 19
slarano
Frequent Contributor

The HSBC Discover is simply what is available to you at your current credit score range. Good for rebuilding/building credit. In a couple of years, you should be able to get your scores high enough for a real Discover. 

ImageImageImage

Message 18 of 19
jj10939
Regular Contributor

This was one of my first CC's.  I got it about four years ago when I was 18 when I applied for Discover and was counter offered this card.  It's not the worst card to have.  I have a $300 CL which is what it was four years ago which is ridiculous.  I just use it for my monthly netflix and pay it off.  They will NEVER increase your credit limit. 

If you call the number on the back of your card which I believe is 1-888-333-2201 (going off memory on that one) but when you get through to someone and ask to speak with a U.S. rep who handles these accounts, they will put you through to someone who is actually quite knowledgeable about the card.

The card does have rewards.  One point for every dollar spent.  1,000 points will get you a $5 Starbucks card.  My card has an annual fee of $19 which I have paid once in my four years of having the card.  I called about two years ago and asked if the annual fee could just be removed from my account and they said yes, surprisingly!  Because it is my oldest card, I just keep it open for the age.  I hope this helps and answers some questions.  As another member posted, the website for the card is accountcentralonline.com.

My advice would be to keep the card and it will open doors for better cards as it did me.  But if it's not your oldest account, close it after one to two years.  Good luck!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.