cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a card you already have... Possible?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Applying for a card you already have... Possible?

I am currently an au on my moms macys store card. I want my own. Can I apply for the card while still being an au or do I have to remove myself and then apply...

I am afraid that when I am removed as au my aaoa will go down and will lower my score as well.

Also does anyone know if macys is inquiry sensitive and what scores are ideal?
Chase Freedom 3000
Chase Sapphire Preferred 5000
American Express Blue Cash Preferred 6300
Bank of America Travel Rewards 5000
Bank of America Cash Rewards 3000
Discover IT 4000
Best Buy 4000
TU 733 EQ 743 EX 722
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Applying for a card you already have... Possible?

you can apply. technically that is considered your mom's card, not yours, even though youa re an AU.

you do not need to remove yourself as AU.

Are you talking about the store card or the Amex branded version store card?
Anyways score wise I think as long as you have >650 you stand a good chance. Not sure if they're inquiry sensitive.

Most store cards in general are very easy to get

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You don't need to remove AU. So go for it.

Lots of cards and counting !!
Las Vegas REALTOR
FICO 800ish Shooting for 800+
BCE 20K,ED 10K,Sky 2K, DCVR $6800, Slate 8K, Freedom 5k, Care Credit 10K, Lowes 10K, Cap1 QS $11500, Venture 15K, Paypal 5k Hidden, US Bank Edge Cash Business 20K and NFL $1500 soon to DIE.
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yes, totally possible (I've done it). I wonder if it might even help your approval chances...

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Okay thanks you guys. I'll try it. Just have to wait for my payments to finally post. This month is taking forever. Neither amex or chase have updated yet
Chase Freedom 3000
Chase Sapphire Preferred 5000
American Express Blue Cash Preferred 6300
Bank of America Travel Rewards 5000
Bank of America Cash Rewards 3000
Discover IT 4000
Best Buy 4000
TU 733 EQ 743 EX 722
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Super Contributor

do u shop a lot at macy's?
i won't recommend the card unless you absolutely want it.

the fees they charge are ridiculous.

i get charged a $2 fee for paying my bill in full. so called educational fee or watever crap they decide to call it.

you can google and read more on it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Moderator Emerita

I just got that card and its one of those I will just let my kids use. -sigh- my Nordstrom gets my attention. But to the OPs question, yes you can get your own and remain an AU.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.