cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for store cards online or in person?

tag
kade6767
Contributor

Applying for store cards online or in person?

For some reason, a few people have told me that sometimes applying online is easier for denial than in person at a register in the store. Does anyone think this is true? I'm happy to be rebuilding, but it's still going to take me another year or two. I got my Cap One in July 12' with $500CL and just recently they raised it to $750. I applied for Walmart and got approved for $700CL, but for some reason Kohls always denies me. I think my most recent score is 691. I have too many inquiries right now, so I will not be applying for any more for maybe another 18 months, unless of course there is one out there easy to get without using inquiries as a factor too much.

Walmart Store Card $5,000 Bank of America Cash Rewards $4,500 Chase Amazon Visa $3,000 Capital One QS1 $1,250 Macy's $1,600
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

d imp

That's simple. Nobody likes rejection, especially to their face. Much better with the cold impersonal computer screen doing it to you than a live human being.

Message 2 of 9
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applying for store cards online or in person?

Pretty sure sweet talk to the employee won't have any effects on the credit decision.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 3 of 9
kade6767
Contributor

What I was told by a credit rep was that in-store had a more lenient approach to getting approved, which I find hard to believe. They're basically saying apply in person and you'll get approved as opposed to stricter rules applying online.

Walmart Store Card $5,000 Bank of America Cash Rewards $4,500 Chase Amazon Visa $3,000 Capital One QS1 $1,250 Macy's $1,600
Message 4 of 9
peacocks27

It's definitely easier in store. They ask for less information, and I've never been asked my income. Most stores have it where all the questions you answer on the little credit card screen pad so you're not telling the associate anything. I got denied online from a store, and got approved the same day in store. 

Gardening as of 2.8.13 hopefully for a year. If not, at least 6 months. I can do this, I know I can.
Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

I think it's easier, but its not going to be drastically different. Maybe +/-15points difference at best, I'm guessing.

The overall underwriting is still going to be very much set in stone. In store it might be easier because they have an immediate sales once your approved, whereas for online purchases they don't. rejecting you in front of other customers behind you in line isn't exactly the nicest retail experience either.

Then again, what store are u trying to apply at?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
kade6767
Contributor

No particular store, it was just a general question that a rep mentioned to me that in person is approved faster than online.

Message 7 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

I'm guessing its a little easier purely out of opportunity for immediate sales and overall retail experience. Most people find it embarassing when they get rejected in the store because thats telling everyone you have horrible credit, and no one likes that. That might just shun you from buying from them ever again.

However, most store cards, with the exception of Amex/visa/mc branded versions or for luxury high end retail stores (i.e. saks fifth avenue, Neiman Marcus etc), already have pretty low underwriting requirements. If you are eligible to be approved in the store, you most likely will get approved online. The only difference is probably just going to be the credit limit and interest rates.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 9
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

I was told by a csr that it was better to apply in-store because they can identify you easier than online.  When in store they are going to swipe your drivers license and possibly another CC (at least that is what happened with me).  So I was thinking that maybe if you're borderline for approval, possibly the in-store can help give you the edge that you need.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.