Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are CHASE CCs always double HP?

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Are CHASE CCs always double HP?

I got two HPs for each of my last three Chase cards (CSP, CIC, CIU). For each application, I had a Fico8 score of 810-830. Not sure why they need two HPs for existing customers without derog.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 21 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It's always made sense to me that in a "nervous" market, creditors will do more pulls.   Not sure of the incremental cost of an HP, but obviously smaller than a charge off.  So I would triple pull every time (unless it really is too expensive) because 

a) normal people wouldn't know or mind, this is their first credit card for 5 years and they won't apply for another for at least a year

b) it catches more information about credit risk

c) and it catches people gaming the system, like those looking for just a TU puller because some derogs aren't on that report etc.

Message 22 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's always made sense to me that in a "nervous" market, creditors will do more pulls.   Not sure of the incremental cost of an HP, but obviously smaller than a charge off.  So I would triple pull every time (unless it really is too expensive) because 

a) normal people wouldn't know or mind, this is their first credit card for 5 years and they won't apply for another for at least a year

b) it catches more information about credit risk

c) and it catches people gaming the system, like those looking for just a TU puller because some derogs aren't on that report etc.

For the existing customers, they already have access to EX (they report Vantage3 scores using EX data). Not sure why in my applications, they do hard pull on both EX and TU. Pulling either EQ or TU would be sufficient.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 23 of 35
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

Short answer: No

My Dad's Chase Freedom flex was Experian only

My wife and  only had 1 report unlockedmwhen we were approved, so that may have caused our SP

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800-->$13k CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k-->$12k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k-->$19k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8k-->24.3k CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 24 of 35
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

When I apped for the CHASE FF, I guess I didn't read my CHASE notes correctly and I was expecting only a single pull on EX F08.

I was surprised that when my credit report was pulled, that it pulled on both EX F08 and TU F08.

Is this standard?

Has anyone gotten a CHASE CC with only having a single HP? 🤔

Me: Chase Amazon CC (2021) One HP on EX

DH: Chase FU (2021) One HP on EX

Can't remember our scores at that time, but recently I had to unfreeze my TU to get a CLI.  It was granted after a SP just on TU, but now I'm wondering if they're checking to see if the applicant is  < 5/24 on at least 2 of 3 CB's? Who knows...? *shrugs shoulders*

Message 25 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

All my Chase applications have been single pulls, but Chase is known to double pull from time to time.

One thing I can say about my applications is that all my approved applications were no-brainers. And all my declined applications were no-brainers as well. So I'm thinking that maybe they double pull when it's a close call. And in my case it's never been a close call.

I did mine in branch, I wonder if that had anything to do with it? 🤔

Potential Future Cards
Message 26 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

Three Chase CC. Three Chase double pulls.

Wow, this sounds like this would happen to me if I got more CHASE products Smiley Very Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 27 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I got two HPs for each of my last three Chase cards (CSP, CIC, CIU). For each application, I had a Fico8 score of 810-830. Not sure why they need two HPs for existing customers without derog.

**Perfectly** said. I have done business with CHASE for decades. They are my main bank. I was very surprised when I saw a double pull. It's all good, just mad at myself for not having better notes. I totally thought it would be a single pull. Smiley Indifferent

Potential Future Cards
Message 28 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

**Perfectly** said. I have done business with CHASE for decades. They are my main bank. I was very surprised when I saw a double pull. It's all good, just mad at myself for not having better notes. I totally thought it would be a single pull. Smiley Indifferent

I did my prior CC applications in a mixed way of either in-branch or online. For each one, they did two HPs, independent of the application submission method.

Next time, I will wear a suit and book an appointment with them to apply for a CC in-branch. Let's see whether wearing a suit would make a difference Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 35
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I now have six Chase cards: SWPC (3-19) unsure how many and which ones were pulled. CFU (11/21) EX & TU, CBIU (12/21) EX & TU, CSP (now CFF 4/22) EX & TU, SWBiz (11/22) EX & TU and CMBB (3/24) TU only, but they tried to get EX, but it was locked. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they pulled two when I got my SWPC five years ago as well.

In 2019, my scores were in the 680s. I was 820 - 850 for every other card I app'd for with Chase and got two pulls. Regional DP--Wisconsin.

Edit: Just looked at my report from 3/19 and they definitely pulled EX and my score was 700, not 680ish.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.