cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are auto APR reductions as typical as auto CLIs?

tag
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Are auto APR reductions as typical as auto CLIs?

See title.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are auto APR reductions as typical as auto CLIs?

@Simba501 wrote:

See title.

I can only speak of my experience. I've never to my knowledge received an automatic APR reduction.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Many issuers give automatic CLI increases but few give automatic APR reductions. I have had to ask for APR reductions to get them. Some issuers reduce/increase APR based on the prime rate (e.g. My credit union reduced my APR to 6.9% for a while then raised it for new purchases to 9.9%). I can't draw a generalization based on just my experience, but from my experience automatic CLIs are not uncommon, while automatic APR reductions are very rare (even my CU only did it due to fluctuations in prime lending rate). 

Message 3 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

I have always had to ask.

Message 4 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I have never been offered a apr reduction.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 11
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I am still confused as to why my bank likes me, but BofA gave me CLI's every 4 months like clockwork, then they cancelled out my annual fee, and then they reduced my APR. Now mind you I only change $30-150 a month and PIF. I don't get it

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase lowered me from 12.9% to 9.9% on a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa. Only time I can remember. Citi Bank says they review accounts every six months for auto-reductions for Aprs ... hmm I wonder if this is script to the CRSs.
Message 7 of 11
gh17
Frequent Contributor

No.

The only card I've gotten an APR reduction on is my Citi Forward.  And I think this was a feature of the card where for the first x months if you paid on time you got an APR reduction.  But once it reached its limit, it became permantently stuck in one place.  Although at 10.99%, not so bad of an APR for an awesome rewards card (not that I pay interest).

I've occasionally tried via chat or secured message to lower my APRs, just out of curiosity, but with no luck.  I wasn't really expecting anything of it but figured I'd try.  Maybe it's more likely with calling.  My Capital One card has 20.99% which is my highest rate (aside from store cards), so I'd like to get that one lowered just on principle.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 8 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No. Many issuers give automatic CLI increases but few give automatic APR reductions. I have had to ask for APR reductions to get them. Some issuers reduce/increase APR based on the prime rate (e.g. My credit union reduced my APR to 6.9% for a while then raised it for new purchases to 9.9%). I can't draw a generalization based on just my experience, but from my experience automatic CLIs are not uncommon, while automatic APR reductions are very rare (even my CU only did it due to fluctuations in prime lending rate). 

+1+  You've gotta ASK (fight) for a APR decrease as they don't give up the cash cow that easy.

Message 9 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Simba501 wrote:

See title.

I can only speak of my experience. I've never to my knowledge received an automatic APR reduction.

I need to reply to my own post.

After thinking about it I remembered that Discover gave me annual auto CLI's for several years after opeining it but I haven't had an auto CLI in a long, long time.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.