Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA fully secured card question

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

BOA fully secured card question

Does anyone know or have experience with a fully secured card converting to an unsecured CC with rewards lik cash back 123 that BOA offers on unsecured products?

I apped this week for an unsecured and I hope to get the 99/500 deal. If I don't get the deal, I think I am just going to get a fully secured card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA fully secured card question

My BOA Secured BOA Platinum Plus Visa unsecured in nine months to the same card unsecured with an AF (kept all the same credit history and reporting to the CB's). Then I called and had it p/c to the BOA Cash 321 Card.

Message 2 of 9
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Wanderer: When you did the PC, did you keep the same TL history and credit card number? Do you know if they had to do a SP or HP inquiry for the PC?

Message 3 of 9
otter69
New Contributor

I have a Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured Card (fully secured $300) that I got in August of this year. BoA is one of the best secured issuers for a few reasons: 

• Fees/APR's aren't too bad for a secured card.
  • You can get a card with decent rewards... even though it isn't advertised on the site, you CAN get secured cash and travel rewards cards.
  • The card graduates with higher consistency than other secured cards... usually after 10 months/a year of good use.

The downside is that the underwriting BoA has for their unsecured cards is a lot more strict that most secured issuers. It's best if you are a builder rather than a rebuilder. They don't mind a thin file. They probably won't mind a baddie or two from 5 years ago. Bankrupcies or recent baddies will probably spook BoA and they might deny, security deposit or not...

I don't do senior citizen activities like Bingo, needlepoint, shuffleboard, square dancing, and ABSOLUTELY NO GARDENING!
Message 4 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

I have the secured Platinum Visa and I am looking forward to it securing next year. BofA is the best secured card with the most consistent graduations. I bank with Wells Fargo but wouldn't touch their secured with a 10 ft pole!!

Message 5 of 9
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

If you go the fully secured route you can add 1,2,3 cash rewards to it as soon as you are approved.takes 2-4 weeks to receive the card

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question... yes everything stayed the same including the annual fee. They would not convert to a no AF product. APR was 14.9% same as before. They did add $500 to the CL. After usage and time I asked them several times for a CLI and they denied it. Finally, I closed it as I don't pay annual fees.
Message 7 of 9
hubison97
Established Member

Hello, I applied for the BOA Cash Rewards card in Aug. 2013.  I was initially declined then offered the 99/500 deal.  I believe I receive almost all of the same benefits as a regular card holder.  You are able to see your Cash Rewards earnings easily online.  I inquired about a CLI a couple of weeks ago via an online chat and was told they might do a hard pull so I decided not to do it now.  I don't know how long you may have to keep the secured card b/f they unsecured it.  I haven't asked yet.  Yesterday I applied for a Am Ex Blue Cash Preferred and was approved with a 1k CL.  APR is high but it's a 15 mos 0% intro so I'm hoping I can get it down when the 0 expires.  BTW I had very short credit history/ was rebuilding when I applied for BOA in Aug.  After that I was approved for a Neiman Marcus card in Oct.  FICO & Ex scores are 742/747

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@hubison97 wrote:

Hello, I applied for the BOA Cash Rewards card in Aug. 2013.  I was initially declined then offered the 99/500 deal.  I believe I receive almost all of the same benefits as a regular card holder.  You are able to see your Cash Rewards earnings easily online.  I inquired about a CLI a couple of weeks ago via an online chat and was told they might do a hard pull so I decided not to do it now.  I don't know how long you may have to keep the secured card b/f they unsecured it.  I haven't asked yet.  Yesterday I applied for a Am Ex Blue Cash Preferred and was approved with a 1k CL.  APR is high but it's a 15 mos 0% intro so I'm hoping I can get it down when the 0 expires.  BTW I had very short credit history/ was rebuilding when I applied for BOA in Aug.  After that I was approved for a Neiman Marcus card in Oct.  FICO & Ex scores are 742/747

This typically varies by individuals, some cards can unsecure as early as 8 months, while others can take up to 12 months.  A lot depends on your history and other factors.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.