Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Cards

tag
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

Balance Transfer Cards

I don't plan to apply for a new card, am just wondering which cards are currently offering balance transfers.  I have tried researching it via Google and all that come up are those for new applictions.  I have several credit cards and have searched each of their sites, and once again, all that comes up are applying for new cards.  I do have a large home repair that I charged and would like to transfer the balance for a zero per centage offer.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balance Transfer Cards

Do you currently have any cards like Discover, Citi, BoA, Capital One, Chase, BB&T, etc?

Plenty of mine are offering a variety of different promotions, from low intro APRs (0% to 2.99%) on purchases (with a quick online activation - Sears MC, Barclays, Citi, etc.); while others are offering BT promotions with fees from 3%-5% -- FNBO, Citi, Barlcays, BoA, Discover, Capital One, BMO, Commerce Bank, US Bank, PenFed + some local CUs.

Message 2 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I don't plan to apply for a new card, am just wondering which cards are currently offering balance transfers.  I have tried researching it via Google and all that come up are those for new applictions.  I have several credit cards and have searched each of their sites, and once again, all that comes up are applying for new cards.  I do have a large home repair that I charged and would like to transfer the balance for a zero per centage offer.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.  

I am not aware of a lender that offers every card holder a BT all of the time. It appears to be account specific, for example, I always have BT offers on my Discover cards but there have been long threads here about people not having BT on their Discover. Another example, people frequently post about US Bank offering BT, in 7 years they have never once offered me a BT. 

The only thing you can do is login into each of your lenders and see if a BT is available for that account. 

Message 3 of 10
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

That strategy won't work, as has been pointed out. Banks offer--or don't offer--balance transfers on a per-customer basis, so a general search like that can't possibly be helpful.

Off the top of my head, I know for sure that 5 of my cards are currently offering *me* BTs, with very attractive terms (0% until summer 2023, as an example). They include BofA, Discover, Citi, and Amex. But even if you have accounts at those same banks, that doesn't mean you'll have BT offers, or that they'll have the same terms mine do. Yours could be better or worse, or nonexistent.

The best strategy is to simply log in to each of your accounts and check for offers.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I would recommend Discover. i got their card in may, nice sl, 14 months bt at zero, plus the rotating 5 percent cash back categories, they double your first year cash back at the end of first year. plus they emailed me last week that now my purchases until sept 2022 are 0 percent interest, plus the customer service is super friendly.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

For the past several years NFCU has either 0% or low ( ~1.99% ) BT offers in Jan / Feb timeframe, not sure if you're elligible but it's a good way to pay balances down. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

To my mind 0% balance transfer offers which have a balance transfer fee are not really 0% interest offers.

IMHO only credit unions offer truly interest free balance transfers. E.g. NFCU or DCU. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

If this thread is to have any hope of being productive, we would need to know the list of cards and limits you have Smiley Wink

OP doesn't want to apply for a new card, so while all of us can present options, it's a 20 Questions exercise... which can be fun, with friends Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I am not aware of a lender that offers every card holder a BT all of the time. It appears to be account specific, for example, I always have BT offers on my Discover cards but there have been long threads here about people not having BT on their Discover. Another example, people frequently post about US Bank offering BT, in 7 years they have never once offered me a BT. 

The only thing you can do is login into each of your lenders and see if a BT is available for that account. 

^^^ this. 
My BOA has a BT to pay off CCs or can be DD to my ckg acct. This offer  expires 10/7. I always had BTs with Disco, but once I got a personal in June, there has been no more offers. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 10
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

Thank you all for your insights.  I truly do appreciate them.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.