cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Options

tag
mkb2

Balance Transfer Options

So I recently applied for and got approved for a new credit card with Citibank. When I applied, I anticipated it would be based on a 720-740 score....right now on myfico.com it shows 727, 742 (day of application) and 720 (last week) as the three most recent scores using Equifax. I wanted a mileage card because I have a lot of purchases my company reimburses me for that I pay off immediately, so I wasn't looking in particular for a balance transfer card. But the card had a balance transfer option and I was anticipating that I would transfer two older card balances to this new card after I was approved since its low-end interest rate was 13.99%, as both of these other cards are 18%. I figured one card that lowered my interest a little and gave me miles for the $thousands a month I get reimbursed for was a smart compromise. 

Well when I got my card, it was approved at 21.99% interest based on a score of 696, which said it was from Experian!!! So now I feel kinda stuck...I really wanted to lower my interest rate on these older cards and now I'm real nervous about having too many pulls on my credit and getting dinged for too many cards if I were to apply so soon for another credit card. I co-signed on something in Feb. 2013 so I've already had two pulls now in the last 12 months and two others in the last 24.

What are some expert recommendations here? I'm wondering when would be the best time to apply for a real 0% balance transfer card so that it can start aging and reduce the interest I pay, or if it's better to sit still and slowly pay off the two cards with balances over time. I'd really like to have my score in great shape by 2016 so I can get a good mortgage.

As background, I have two late payments in 2009 (from when a former employer didn't pay me for six months, b*s%a$d) but otherwise have no other marks on my credit. I have four or five other revolving credit cards (department store 0% interest specials) only one of which has a balance, plus a car loan.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Options

Not sure I'm following.

are you looking to transfer some debt from 2 accounts? How much?

or are you looking for good rewards card because you can charge your company expenses of about $1k a month and then they refund you?

although the new citi card is 22% that is probably after promo of 0% for a year or more? No?

and to address your INQ and new accounts... Unless you are applying for mortgage in next year you don't need to be so worried about them, especially 2!

i have about 10 in last 2 months! You have 3 credit reports, so you have at least 1 report that is probably empty for inq's!

what is the limit you were approved for?

Message 2 of 14
mkb2

Yes..Transfer two cards with about $2000 balance each ($4k) racking up interest at 18%. I got the AAdvantage card because I have $3k average in business expenses I get reimbursed for monthly and the card I use for business was giving me no benefits. Now I'm gonna get 40,000 miles or so per year from this card, plus the bonuses. NO. There is no 0% promo period. It's 21.99% from day one. Credit line is $8,000. Hopefully that explains things.
Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mkb2 wrote:
Yes..Transfer two cards with about $2000 balance each ($4k) racking up interest at 18%. I got the AAdvantage card because I have $3k average in business expenses I get reimbursed for monthly and the card I use for business was giving me no benefits. Now I'm gonna get 40,000 miles or so per year from this card, plus the bonuses. NO. There is no 0% promo period. It's 21.99% from day one. Credit line is $8,000. Hopefully that explains things.

Okay great, you should almost never make a bt card an every day card too.

so since this new AA covers you great for your daily spending now let's take care of your bt needs for your other 2 cards.

what cards are they?

if neither are chase, I would 100% apply for chase slate because it's % for 15 months and has no fees to transfer.

2nd choice would be theduckcard which has been giving large cl's out and0% for 12 months

Message 4 of 14
mkb2

Neither are Chase. The Slate card WAS the one I've been looking at.

So your opinion is "Why are you worried about 2 pulls? Get that Slate card ASAP and move from 18% ot 0%!"

Can I get some second opinions? Remember, I JUST had this pull from Citibank on Nov. 30, 2013. If I apply for Slate, that'll make it three pulls in 12 months and isn't Chase going to be thinking "Why does this nutcase think he needs another credit card when he just got one 6 weeks ago?"

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mkb2 wrote:

So your opinion is "Why are you worried about 2 pulls? Get that Slate card ASAP and move from 18% ot 0%!"

Can I get some second opinions? Remember, I JUST had this pull from Citibank on Nov. 30, 2013. If I apply for Slate, that'll make it three pulls in 12 months and isn't Chase going to be thinking "Why does this nutcase think he needs another credit card when he just got one 6 weeks ago?"

No offense to you because I reD it all the time but I'm always surprised when people are more concerned about an inquiry or average age of account then continuing to pay high interest when they could be paying NONE... You have your priorities wrong even if 3 inq's was epic but it's not so it's win win to apply!

Message 6 of 14
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@mkb2 wrote:

I'll second creditaddict's suggestion. If you're approved, it'll save you a lot of money.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 7 of 14
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

If you carry a balance, zero percent is well...the bomb.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mkb2 wrote:

I'm wondering when would be the best time to apply for a real 0% balance transfer card so that it can start aging and reduce the interest I pay, or if it's better to sit still and slowly pay off the two cards with balances over time. I'd really like to have my score in great shape by 2016 so I can get a good mortgage.

As background, I have two late payments in 2009 (from when a former employer didn't pay me for six months, b*s%a$d) but otherwise have no other marks on my credit.

Absolute best would be when your lates are off your reports and your utilization is optimized.  That said, you might not be able to get them removed and you might not want to wait for them to fall off if reducing interest paid now is a priority.  Might as well apply for another at this point to see if you can get a BT offer.

@mkb2 wrote:

What underwriting thinks is anyone's guess and one's credit plays a large part as well.  Inquiries aren't as a big of a deal with an established credit history and thick file.  They can be more of an issue for thinner files.  Either way, they mostly lose their impact after a year and fall off after two.  People routinely app for multiple cards within several months.  I apped for 3 cards in 3/2013.  Not saying that it won't be an issue for you but we really can't to tell you one way or another and the creditor and product you're applying for will also play a role.  Find one that doesn't pull Experian if you can.

It's really your call: pay the interest you're paying now or try for a BT card to help out now.  Pick your poison.

Message 9 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@mkb2 wrote:

I'm wondering when would be the best time to apply for a real 0% balance transfer card so that it can start aging and reduce the interest I pay, or if it's better to sit still and slowly pay off the two cards with balances over time. I'd really like to have my score in great shape by 2016 so I can get a good mortgage.

As background, I have two late payments in 2009 (from when a former employer didn't pay me for six months, b*s%a$d) but otherwise have no other marks on my credit.

Absolute best would be when your lates are off your reports and your utilization is optimized.  That said, you might not be able to get them removed and you might not want to wait for them to fall off if reducing interest paid now is a priority.  Might as well apply for another at this point to see if you can get a BT offer.

@mkb2 wrote:

What underwriting thinks is anyone's guess and one's credit plays a large part as well.  Inquiries aren't as a big of a deal with an established credit history and thick file.  They can be more of an issue for thinner files.  Either way, they mostly lose their impact after a year and fall off after two.  People routinely app for multiple cards within several months.  I apped for 3 cards in 3/2013.  Not saying that it won't be an issue for you but we really can't to tell you one way or another and the creditor and product you're applying for will also play a role.  Find one that doesn't pull Experian if you can.

It's really your call: pay the interest you're paying now or try for a BT card to help out now.  Pick your poison.

+1

And if you still need another opinion, I will second (or third) Creditaddict's recommendation as well.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.