cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer as authorized user

Camaroman94
Established Member

Balance transfer as authorized user

DW is going to open a balance transfer card in hopes of transferring mine and her balances to the one card, I have about 4500 across 5 cards that I am paying interest on, is it possible, if I’m the authorized user, to transfer balances from my cards to the balance transfer card?
Starting Scores 04/28/19 FICO 8
EQ -587
TU -592
EX - 603
Current Util: 80%

Current scores
EQ603
TU604
EX609

Goal Score 750+
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Saeren
Mega Contributor

Re: Balance transfer as authorized user

Typically only the main account holder can do a BT to a credit card. I am sure there are exceptions though. 

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston

@Saeren wrote:

Typically only the main account holder can do a BT to a credit card. I am sure there are exceptions though. 

To clarify this, typically only the main account holder can initiate a BT to a card.  Generally speaking, you can BT the balance from anyone's card to your own.  The only exception I can currently think of is NFCU, which requires that it is either your own card or that you are an authorized user.  I do not know of any exceptions where you cannot BT the balance from a card that you are an authorized user on.

Message 3 of 4
Saeren
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

To clarify this, typically only the main account holder can initiate a BT to a card.  Generally speaking, you can BT the balance from anyone's card to your own.  The only exception I can currently think of is NFCU, which requires that it is either your own card or that you are an authorized user.  I do not know of any exceptions where you cannot BT the balance from a card that you are an authorized user on.

Yeah that's what I meant was that a BT to the card can only be initiated by the actual card member. Should have made that more clear. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.