Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay 6 month CLI

tag
keithbward
Frequent Contributor

Barclay 6 month CLI

I know some people have been given increaes at 6 months and I've been told by an analyst that they like to see 6 months of usage with their product. My question is has anyone received a 6 month increase after initiating one them selves at the 3 or 4 month mark? Or would you have to wait til 6 months after that?

Starting Scores - EX 547 || EQ 541 || TU 538 - 01/21/2014
Current Scores - EX 691 || EQ 628??? || TU 695 - 08/04/2015
Goal Scores - 720 across the board
Current Utilization - 12% and going down
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclay 6 month CLI

Greetings!

I have a Barclay card myself.   I did not receive a CLI after 6 months - much of this I believe is due to a few other credit cards I gained during the year.   Based on what I have read from others on the forum, I (if I were in your shoes) would wait until after 6 months is up and all the statements cut and see if you give you some hot lovin.  If they don't and you still want to try for a CLI, you can initiate one.  Just keep in mind it's a HP.

Barclay can be a mystery - they have been the subject of MANY threads here where we have attempted to decode their foruma for CLIs...

Good luck to you!

Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@keithbward wrote:

I know some people have been given increaes at 6 months and I've been told by an analyst that they like to see 6 months of usage with their product. My question is has anyone received a 6 month increase after initiating one them selves at the 3 or 4 month mark? Or would you have to wait til 6 months after that?

My experience was:

1. they gave me a card with a disappointingly low credit limit

2. 4 or 5 times i made an online CLI request; each was denied

3. one day i woke up to the realization that each request was resulting in a hard pull on my TU report. I stopped & decided to never apply for a CLI with them again, to just use the card sparingly

4. a month later, when i got my 6th monthly statement, they on their own increased my credit limit 65%

So to me the moral of the story is... don't ask

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I havent but I have been using this card alot and not PIF due to my bonus not getting her til the end of may so im pretty sure thats the issue. Im going to PIF at the end of may and see what happens.

ill keep you posted! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
dwz55
Regular Contributor

Got an Arrival + with a 5K limit

Charge about 2k and month while not paying in full (had 0% APR)

Kept the card being closed to maxed out until the 6th statement

Got a auto 5k increase.

Al this while I had opened 2 other cards with heavy spending

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 5 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@thebeckerman wrote:

@keithbward wrote:

My experience was:

1. they gave me a card with a disappointingly low credit limit

2. 4 or 5 times i made an online CLI request; each was denied

3. one day i woke up to the realization that each request was resulting in a hard pull on my TU report. I stopped & decided to never apply for a CLI with them again, to just use the card sparingly

4. a month later, when i got my 6th monthly statement, they on their own increased my credit limit 65%

So to me the moral of the story is... don't ask

Agreed!

At least where some are concerned. Barclays consistently denied my 3 tries for Sallie Mae in spite of the fact i had used the Rewards Card well and waited months before trying again. I don't dare poke that bear anymore for either another card or a CLI.

Now if they want to offer something? That's another story.

Message 6 of 10
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Barclays has been good to me so far. I have the Arrival+ and Sallie Mae. I've had both cards for over a year and have received CLI at the 6 month and 12 month marks without fail. The one time I asked for a CLI...denied (plus took the HP).

Definitely use the cards regularly and you will be rewarded. The 6 month 'rule' is no guarantee but many, many people on here have received regular CLI from Barclays.
Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:
Barclays has been good to me so far. I have the Arrival+ and Sallie Mae. I've had both cards for over a year and have received CLI at the 6 month and 12 month marks without fail. The one time I asked for a CLI...denied (plus took the HP).

Definitely use the cards regularly and you will be rewarded. The 6 month 'rule' is no guarantee but many, many people on here have received regular CLI from Barclays.

Our Sallie Maes are at 16 and 18 months with no auto CLI.  I recently asked about it and was told if I wanted a CLI I should apply and take the HP.  As it is my lowest card by far, I was tempted to close, but then, because of some upcoming travel, applied for the Arrival Plus.   Once the AF on that becomes due, I will see if I can move the limit to the SM

Message 8 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I got in the door with Barclays in 9/13 with a $1200 Apple card.  Auto CLI to $2200 after 6 months.. shortly after I paid off the phone with the 0% promo.

10 months of minimal use ($100-200 a month) netted no further CLI love.

Approved for $4500 Sallie Mae in 12/14.  Moved the Apple limit over to make it $6700 and closed that account.

I've used my SM card religiously over the last 3+ months... with my Dad as an AU.  40-50 transactions a month... right now the balance is $6100/$6700 with a PIF coming at the end of the coming week.

4th statement the week after that... and by June when statement 6 comes I am expecting a huge auto CLI.

If I don't get one I will be shocked.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

My 6th statement cut yesterday. I got nothing. Maybe because I got cli at month 3. Was hoping for some auto luv. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.