Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Ring -- worth having?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Barclay Ring -- worth having?

This card has no BT fees, $1 per cash advance fee, 8% APR. I mean...it seems like a decent card to carry a balance for a short period of time. It it even worth the trouble of applying for it?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay Ring -- worth having?

@maiden_girl wrote:

This card has no BT fees, $1 per cash advance fee, 8% APR. I mean...it seems like a decent card to carry a balance for a short period of time. It it even worth the trouble of applying for it?

I would say it's worth having .

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I was considering applying for it because I don't have a mastercard anymore and having one would be nice.

Message 3 of 21
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

It intrigues me as well, but I'm going to hold off on it until everything ages and to see if I actually need it in the future.

Message 4 of 21
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Didn't realize it didn't have a BT fee! No 0% intro APR though. Variable 8% is still good though. 

Chase Slate also doesn't have a BT fee (for the first 60 days) and a 15mo 0% apr period. After that the lowest variable apr one can have is 12.99% (the others are ridiculous). Have heard some stories of people sweet talking Chase into lowering it further. 

Ring would be a great card for someone who's already carrying balances on >8% apr cards (and do this quite a bit). Slate looks better if it's for shorter term things. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 5 of 21
newUser0
Established Contributor

Curious how did you get your Freedom as NPSL? is that even allowed?

Message 6 of 21
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

It is probably a Visa Signature, which has a set limit but allows you to go over.

Message 7 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

It is probably a Visa Signature, which has a set limit but allows you to go over.

I have a Freedom Visa signature. After my account went over my 5k limit and it hit 1 years of age, I sent Chase a secured message. Nice rep called me and verified my info and within a few days they had my account converted. They told me they had to check my eligibility and would get back to me.

Message 8 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@colinstu wrote:

Didn't realize it didn't have a BT fee! No 0% intro APR though. Variable 8% is still good though. 

Chase Slate also doesn't have a BT fee (for the first 60 days) and a 15mo 0% apr period. After that the lowest variable apr one can have is 12.99% (the others are ridiculous). Have heard some stories of people sweet talking Chase into lowering it further. 

Ring would be a great card for someone who's already carrying balances on >8% apr cards (and do this quite a bit). Slate looks better if it's for shorter term things. 

I'm tempted but I don't need it right now...the standard 8% APR and 1 dollar cash advance fee is verrrrry intriguing. Cash advances on credit cards is the best invention ever!

Message 9 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@colinstu wrote:

I considered Slate but I don't think they offer recurring BT offers on it like they do with the Freedom. I have a 2% BT offer for 14 months on my freedom. I currently have two offers.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.