Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy credit card late payment :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy credit card late payment :(

I've had a Best Buy credit card now for about 3 years and I have a balance of about $200. I accidentally missed my minimum payment of $38 about a week ago.. I've never paid a bill late so I'm really concerned that it will effect my credit as this is really important to me.. does anyone know if this will reflect on my credit or if there is any way I can keep it from reflecting? I paid off the balance immediately upon finding out because it scared me so bad. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy credit card late payment :(

Was it 30 days late? Or did you just miss the due date? 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be OK if it was less than 30 days late, as credit reporting doesn't start until the 30 day mark

You probably did incur a late fee - might have luck calling customer service and asking for a courtesy waiver if you've never done it before.

As for how it affects your chance at getting a line increase down the road I wouldn't sweat it - Citi is notoriously stingy with CLI's anyway, so if you've cut your 10% chance in half, you haven't lost much

Cheers!

Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You should be OK if it was less than 30 days late, as credit reporting doesn't start until the 30 day mark

You probably did incur a late fee - might have luck calling customer service and asking for a courtesy waiver if you've never done it before.

As for how it affects your chance at getting a line increase down the road I wouldn't sweat it - Citi is notoriously stingy with CLI's anyway, so if you've cut your 10% chance in half, you haven't lost much

Cheers!

+1

I would call them right away (especially since you've already corrected the missing payment) and see if they will give you a "one-time courtesy waiver" of the late fee... most lenders will do this if it's your first time ever being late. 

Note that there's little reason not to at least ask, since if you are late again in the future it will no longer be your first time and most likely they wouldn't waive it then (in other words, there's no reason to 'save' the request).

Don't sweat it; it happens to most of us eventually and as long as you cleared it up right away there will be no impact to your credit score, although it might impact your CLIs with that one card for a while.  Just use the experience as a 'wake-up' call that you need to tighten up a bit, or at a minimum tweak your system for keeping up with payments.

Good luck! 

Message 4 of 9
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I was once 27 days late on Citi DP (didn't know my wife used it till I got a call about a late payment) I paid and it was not reported as late... limit stayed at 8000 I think it's anything above 30 days?.
Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes call op, it can happen but like Uncle B says let it be your wake up call.

Lol Tyger, love the 10% chance reference, made me chuckle , raising my Dc up high in the air in deferenceSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

One tactic many of us with multiple cards employ is to set up automatic minimum payments and connect it to a funded savings account.  This serves as a stop gap measure incase you ever forget again in the future.  If you make at least the minimum payment in a cycle the automatic payment wont kick in.

Message 7 of 9
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One tactic many of us with multiple cards employ is to set up automatic minimum payments and connect it to a funded savings account.  This serves as a stop gap measure incase you ever forget again in the future.  If you make at least the minimum payment in a cycle the automatic payment wont kick in.

That doesn't work like that with all banks. For example, Capital One, Barclay, Elan Financial, BestBuy etc would still draft a the auto payment on your account even if u already made a payment in that billing cycle. And in some cases that could lead to further issues if the funds are returned 

Message 8 of 9
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Try setting up alerts 5 days before the payment is due?, I'm not sure if all creditors have that but I have a few that remind me via email
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.