Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC Lineup??

tag
CEOriginal
Contributor

Best CC Lineup??

I'll be switching banks very soon, as I currently bank with a very localized bank (man that's redundant), that's not located where I'm moving to.

I've been considering choosing my next Money House based off of the bank's CC lineup, because to me, it's easy to have one of my everyday CCs with the same company I bank with.

So, in your opinion, would you say best lineup goes to Chase, CITI, Cap1, Barclays, or Bank of America?

I'm excluding AMEX and Discover, since to my knowledge, they don't have checking account capabilities. Also, I'm including Cap1 and Barclays, because I'm not adverse to online banking.

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Best CC Lineup??

I don't find any one to have a best lineup and that's why I have different cards from different card issuers.

Best is always highly subjective.  Rather than just randomly polling you need to consider your needs/wants/priorities/preferences.  If you can supply yours then people will be happy to make recommendations suited to you.

Message 2 of 18
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

I like Chase because of how valuable UR points are to me. But I also like AMEX because I don't want to be stuck with one type of rewards points.

Message 3 of 18
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Every card that I have serves a purpose for my life.

My Citi card because I like going to concerts, so I want to always get in on a presale (it's how I was able to get tickets to a Beyonce concert that sold out in 5 minutes on the actual sell date)

My Discover/Freedom for the 5% categories.

My Chase Sapphire (which I plan to switch to the Preferred version) for when I eat out. I want the Preferred b/c I'll be able to maximize the UR points and I plan on doing a lot more traveling in the future.

My BoA 123 card b/c it's always 3% on gas.

My BoA BBR because it's an easy $30 back every 3 months for doing what I always do, PIF or pay more than minimum due.

My Barclay card because I do shop at Apple and I like the 0% interest for 6/12/18 months.

Finanlly, my Amex card because 3% always on groceries and 2% always on gas. (This card is best for my needs, even though most prefer the BCP. I don't spend enough to justify the AF).

So look at the things you buy regularly and look for the card that fits that, and you'll have your ideal card/s.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:
So, in your opinion, would you say best lineup goes to Chase, CITI, Cap1, Barclays, or Bank of America?

Ah, they're all a little different.  In my view, you ought to choose based on the following order of relevance:  (1) best terms for your mortgage; (2) best terms on your deposit accounts; (3) and, the respective bank's CC lineup.

With that said, in general, here is what I think of their CC portfolios.

1.  Chase - Easily the *best* on the list, if you're interested in travel (air and hotel) rewards points redemptions.

2.  Citi - Ah, great if you can maximize the TY arbitrage opportunity.  Very mediocre offerings, unless you wanted the 0% 18 month promos.

3.  BofA - Avg rewards cards with nothing "best in class."  Some nice niche cards (Travel rewards & balance rewards), but otherwise better rewards can be found elsewhere.

4.  Cap One - Best 1.5% "no hassle" cash rewards for non bonus spending in the group.  Their Quicksilver is actually a better non-bonus cash rewards card is better than any of the other lenders on the list.  

Good luck!

Message 5 of 18
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:
I'll be switching banks very soon, as I currently bank with a very localized bank (man that's redundant), that's not located where I'm moving to.

I've been considering choosing my next Money House based off of the bank's CC lineup, because to me, it's easy to have one of my everyday CCs with the same company I bank with.

I'm excluding AMEX and Discover, since to my knowledge, they don't have checking account capabilities. Also, I'm including Cap1 and Barclays, because I'm not adverse to online banking.

@CEOriginal wrote:

These are the card I have, so I can comment on them.

1) Amex for sure, the charge card is simply amazing, specially NPSL with 35k PoT.

2)Chase, you know why, Freedom and CSP combo are hard to beat. Not to mention CSP signup bonus, I just cashed out over $500, DD to my Chase Checking.

2)BoA BankAmericard Privileges /w CashRewards. When getting cash back with BoA checking or saving, you get 50% extra. ie, $100 signup bonus become $150 when redeemed. The $75AF will be worth it pretty quick, the bonus alone will cover 2 years of AF. A friend of mine redeem a bit over $500 cashback and got $750.

3)Citi, city easydeal is amazing if you like to shop online. The TY points is okay if you are into it. They constantly offering 0% BT promo and APR for existing cardmembers.

3)Barclaycard RING. 8% apr and obtainable. A good go to card when you need to carry balance and ran out of 0% promo

4)GE PaypalExtras MC. Okay reward with out of this world CLI. You know it.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 18
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Chase hands down. Get the Freedom + Ink + CSP combo hehe.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
pt310
Frequent Contributor

Do research citi if you're thinking about them. I opened accounts with them in virginia, but when I moved to florida, there was not a branch within 400 miles!
Message 8 of 18
pt310
Frequent Contributor

That was a long time ago tho.
Message 9 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

Chase or AmEx, depending on which travel partners you would use most.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.