cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best country to get a standalone Diner's Club card easiest requirements and best perks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best country to get a standalone Diner's Club card easiest requirements and best perks

A lot of people seem to not care about Diner's Club,

and compared to visa and master it is very weak.

Still, I would like to get one.
I am Korean living in Panama, but then it is not being offered in both countries.
US customs is very lazy and my letter is stuck in customs for more than 2 months.
IRS hasn't given out my ITIN yet and it is actually way over deadline that I had to have it sent.

Which country where Diner's Club is still present, would be best for benefits and ease of sign up?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best country to get a standalone Diner's Club card easiest requirements and best perks

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

Unless you are a resident or citizen of the countries indicated in the Diners Club International website, there is no other method to obtain a Diners Club card.

https://www.dinersclub.com

There are a variety of us who still have the US-issued versions, but that ship sailed a long time ago, unfortunately.

Message 2 of 7
gregorius
New Contributor

Re: Best country to get a standalone Diner's Club card easiest requirements and best perks

Anecdotally, some of the South American franchises that are still active (I can't find the discussions, but suspect it was Ecuador) are popular in their respective countries; my rusty Spanish interprets the applications to mean you need some sort of residency there to be approved.

If you're interested in cards on the Diners Club network specifically, the US/Canadian cards wouldn't help you anyway since they're Mastercards. Discover cards run on the Diners network internationally, but won't provide many of the benefits that come with a traditional Diners Club card like lounge access. They'd also require your US tax documenation to be finalized first.

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

Unless you are a resident or citizen of the countries indicated in the Diners Club International website, there is no other method to obtain a Diners Club card.

https://www.dinersclub.com

There are a variety of us who still have the US-issued versions, but that ship sailed a long time ago, unfortunately.

Sailed off into the fog, which is why some of us just hang on to the card... no way to get back aboard. 

OP, you probably want to contact them directly to get a clear answer. 
Another option may be an international AMEX like Platinum for perks. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

You are correct. Most people don't care or even know about Diners Club. It was the original card, offered primary car rental insurance, and had 2-cycle billing. It was at one time the official card of the US government. The demise in the US occurred in the 90s when Amex was chosen as the official card. Personal card membership dropped also. 

Competition and no real "bling" was the reason DC has failed as a stand-alone issued card. It had to go under the MC logo and be issued under BMO Harris to survive. Applications have been closed for years and I don't think anyone will ever be issued a DC in the US again. 

I think India is one of the biggest countries still issuing DC and some South American and some European nations still hold the card in high esteem. 

If it was ever opened again, I'd jump on it and get one, but the old glory days of DC are sadly gone. 

JR
Message 5 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Interesting. HDFC Bank is offering Diners Club Cards in India.

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Red1Blue wrote:

Interesting. HDFC Bank is offering Diners Club Cards in India.

A handful of nations still do.  Others, like the US, are no longer issuing DC cards, but existing accounts are still active and in circulation.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.