Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card overall?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best credit card overall?

I'm looking for the best all around credit card. 

I do most of my spending at grocery stores, gas, streaming services. 

I don't do much traveling but wouldn't be opposed to it. I have seen the AMEX blue cash preferred and blue cash everyday. Just can't really decide between the two. Also I was leaning towards the chase freedom. But I have read some horror stories on there reviews. 

also my credit is right around 670  

what would be the best chance of getting into a chase freedom. 

any opinions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Best credit card overall?

What is your average age of accounts? Your current Utilization? 

Regarding BCP/BCE, there are calculators out there where you input your spend and it'll tell you how much CB you'd get with either card. I am still with BCE as my spend always flirts around the breakeven point so I figure it's safer to just stick with no AF during these volatile times. I've had the upgrade offer available for like 4 years. 

Freedom is good but, as you pointed out, is a little harder to get. Your scores don't make it sound impossible though. Waiting for your scores to increase could increase your chances and your starting limit. For the most part, you get one auto-CLI with Chase per card after a few months so if you can make your profile look more attractive, you will be rewarded, in kind with a better CL.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't do much traveling but wouldn't be opposed to it. I have seen the AMEX blue cash preferred and blue cash everyday. Just can't really decide between the two. Also I was leaning towards the chase freedom. But I have read some horror stories on there reviews. 

While the Freedom is a nice card, I think you would be better served by going with the BCE/BCP.  You don't have to worry about the rotating categories that may or may not be in your spending categories at the time of purchase. 

Message 3 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe the BCE would be much easier to get than the Chase cards, so I would go that route.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 15
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

The BCP card would be perfect for those three spend categories, if you have enough spend to offset the annual fee. BCE is a good alternative. A score of 670 is right on the cusp for AMEX, so there are many other factors to consider (such as utilization and derogatories). Is that a FICO score you're giving us? Where are you getting it from?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that's my Fico score from myFICO. But I am reparing my credit. I did some dumb things 4 years ago. 

had 3 500 dollar credit cards and maxed them out paid some of it off. Then maxed them again and lost my job and stopped paying. Went to collections and paid them off at the beginning of 2020 and got my first credit card in June. 

it is the opensky secered card, got a preapproval for capital one platinum so I got that one for 300 and a credit one for 300. 

I just upped my CL for my opensky to 2500 so I can put my normal household monthly bills on it and keep it under 25% 

i.e: phone, internet, insurance, power 

so any dumb moves on my part so far besides ruining my credit a few years back?

Message 6 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Check the AmEx prequal site for any offers. At least it will allow you to gauge your creditworthiness.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already tried 1 time last month and 1 time this month after credit report came out and nothin yet. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried the Discover prequal?

Message 9 of 15
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes that's my Fico score from myFICO. But I am reparing my credit. I did some dumb things 4 years ago. 

had 3 500 dollar credit cards and maxed them out paid some of it off. Then maxed them again and lost my job and stopped paying. Went to collections and paid them off at the beginning of 2020 and got my first credit card in June. 

it is the opensky secered card, got a preapproval for capital one platinum so I got that one for 300 and a credit one for 300. 

I just upped my CL for my opensky to 2500 so I can put my normal household monthly bills on it and keep it under 25% 

i.e: phone, internet, insurance, power 

so any dumb moves on my part so far besides ruining my credit a few years back?

Ok, so you just got 3 new credit cards in the past 2-3 months? Looks like it's time to garden for a year.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.