Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best to Worst CC Customer Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best to Worst CC Customer Service

What is your ranking of the best to worst service you have gotten from your cards?

1.) Chase AF Cards (CSP, Ritz, etc..) - very rarely is there a wait time, no cluttered menu to get to a rep, very easy verification, and very pleasant to deal with. US based.

2.) Discover - I cannot say enough about how nice and helpful Discover CSRs are. They are patient and will explain anything to you. Only complaint is needing to give the entire 16 digit card number which can cumbersome depending on the situation. US Based as well.

3.) American Express - Cluttered menus that can cause a delay to get to a live person followed by needing card number to not get trapped in the menus of verification. The reps however are very nice and truly make the situation of going through the menus OK and sometimes even to the point I've forgotten the cluttered menu to reach them. Mostly US based; however I have had a few overseas persons. There is also some communication errors in CSRs (had to go through three to get a rep that understand that they could send me a chipped card for an upcoming trip to the UK.)

4 - Chase non AF. Very standard service; nothing amazing or bad but lots of menus.

I cannot comment on others as my portfolio is Chase, Discover, and AMEX.
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best to Worst CC Customer Service

@Anonymous wrote:
What is your ranking of the best to worst service you have gotten from your cards?

1.) Chase AF Cards (CSP, Ritz, etc..) - very rarely is there a wait time, no cluttered menu to get to a rep, very easy verification, and very pleasant to deal with. US based.

2.) Discover - I cannot say enough about how nice and helpful Discover CSRs are. They are patient and will explain anything to you. Only complaint is needing to give the entire 16 digit card number which can cumbersome depending on the situation. US Based as well.

3.) American Express - Cluttered menus that can cause a delay to get to a live person followed by needing card number to not get trapped in the menus of verification. The reps however are very nice and truly make the situation of going through the menus OK and sometimes even to the point I've forgotten the cluttered menu to reach them. Mostly US based; however I have had a few overseas persons. There is also some communication errors in CSRs (had to go through three to get a rep that understand that they could send me a chipped card for an upcoming trip to the UK.)

4 - Chase non AF. Very standard service; nothing amazing or bad but lots of menus.

I tend to agree with this.

Place Capital One, CreditOne, and FP at the bottom.

Message 2 of 45
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I havent had to do this ever i dont think. Maybe because im calling from the phone number on my account?

I cant really say anything bad about any of the CSRs ive spoken with. For any of my cards

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Discover- human beings with language skills.

2) BOA- see above. Just less smiley

3) First Progress. Yea I know. and yea really.

4) US Bank not bad, not good

1,000,000) Cap1 The minute I can close this sucker I will. And I will call them anytime I need to not understand something.

Message 4 of 45
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i agree with this list. I have yet to really have to call barclays and citi only one time so far and it wasn't an horrible experience so far, both times i got an US CSR. CSP is soooo much better than when i have to call for chase freedom or ink plus. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that many still have disdain for Diners Club CSRs from their application snafu back in October-November, but I have had nothing but great experiences in dealing with them since. I admittedly have used the DC concierge less than AMEX, but DC was helpful with dinner reservations. Same as AMEX. 

1. Diners Club and AMEX (Platinum and Business-not sure if business is a different CSR team) Most frequently contacted and always a positive experience. Both with concierge and technical CSRs. 

2. Cabela's - they are all good ol' midwesterns everytime I call. It is always a great experience and when they are unable to answer my questions, they research and call back. 

3. Citi (Personal and Business) - I don't really find them to be terribly helpful or knowledgeable, but they get a decent place in the list because I always get what I want!

4. Discover, Chase, Barclay, Capital One - I very infrequently use my cards from these banks so I rarely call CSRs. They aren't necessarily bad, just somewhat irrelevant to me. 

Message 6 of 45
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Discover - extremly frendly and US based 

Chase - frendly and helpful

AMEX - Helpful and for the most part knowlegable 

Cap1 - "Visa siggy whats that???" 

M&T - Took 4 weeks just for them to get my aplication and the approved me for the wrong card....

Lowes - not enought time with them yet

Citi - I dont think I have ever called them.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 7 of 45
happypill
Valued Contributor

I don't have any ranking, but I do have some experiences to share.

BofA - Really difficult to even reach CS.  Sometimes, their chat is so backed up a link isn't even available, and after getting a chat link, it took 10 minutes for a rep to join, and she took 2-5 minutes between responses.  Like pulling teeth.  Phone representative was friendly, but not really very knowledgeable or helpful.  

Barclays - My one and only interaction with them was for recon. Picked up without no wait and the representative was engaged in trying to find a way to get me approved.  Recon isn't exactly CS, but I had a great experience - not just because they approved me but because they looked deeper and asked intelligent questions.

Capital One - Haven't had much reason to contact them, but have been able to get a live person right away each time.  Having to go through EO for many things is positive/negative.  It's great that they can get stuff done for you, but it does take more effort.

Citi - I think I get a different rep because I have a business account (very old non-reporting TL).  The reps I've spoked with are definitely not in the US, which always makes it more of a struggle, however they've generally been efficient.  I do get the feeling that their CS reps don't really have the power to do anything for me, so that's definitely a negative.

Message 8 of 45
mikelo22
Established Contributor

This will definitley be a YMMV situation but for me...

1. Chase. They seem more knowledgeable and give you a straight answer. They also tend to have a bit more power/discretion to accomodate your request (if at all possible).

2. Citi. The CSR's aren't as knowledgeble as Chase's, hence why I usually escalate my problems quickly. But other than that, I almost always get what I want because like Chase, they tend to have a bit more power/discretion to accomodate your request. 

3. Discover. It's nice being able to count on someone who is fluent in English. (Nothing is more frustrating when you just can't understand the CSR).

4. Amex. I don't use their CS often, but from limited experience, while the CSR's are kind and (usually) knowledgeable, they don't seem to have nearly as much discretion as other CCC's. And this is my main gripe. Since CSR's have pretty much zero discretion, they simply cannot help you and/or accomodate your request, so all they do is read from their script. And this really ticks me off. I wish AMEX would lax some of their hard rules. But one can dream, right? 

5. US Bank. Their CSR is a mess. They seem to be scatterbrained and unknowledgeable. Top this with the fact that they seem powerless to do anything, very much like AMEX. CS seems to restrained by hard-and-fast rules set down from above so they are unable to accomodate any sort of your requests. I also have found their chats/practices to be deceiving at times, where they will tell you what they think you want to hear. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be doing business with US Bank again.

N/A: Barclays: Never had to contact their CS. Therefore, no opinion.

N/A: FNBO: Never had to contact their CS. Therefore, no opinion.

Message 9 of 45
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I have too many to rank them all, but I can say that I agree with the idea that Chase, AMEX and Discover make up the top of the list and Cap 1 without a doubt is at the very bottom.

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.