tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to get CLI???

Okay so I have 3 credit cards

1. Opensky SCC- 2500 CL

2. Capital One Platinum- 300 CL

3. Credit One Platinum- 300 CL

So the opensky cc is manly my household bills (internet, power, phone, garbage, insurance) with is only around 500 so around 20% 

The other 2 I just use randomly for a 50 dollar charge to keep utilization under 25% on cards

how can I get the capital one card to get a increase. I did just get both 300 dollar cards and I know that capital one says in 6 months they could give a CLI but my question is 

do I need to put more on it to show them it isn't enough and pay it in full monthly or use it a lot and pay multiple times a month to show i can spend it and pay it back?? 

That's one thing I never understood was to get CLI do you need to run up the amount and pay it off multiple times in a month then down the road ask and let them see it's not enough to get you through a billing cycle? Or just use it a little and hope they bump it up?? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shaw83
Regular Contributor

Re: Best way to get CLI???

Honestly from my experience capital one has been very stingy and stubborn with CLIs. I have the Walmart card, I just closed my Cap 1 platinum card and I'm contemplating closing my Quicksilver due to no increase. I had 1 increase in 2years on my Quicksilver and one on the platinum card. What's in my wallet? Not about to be capital one soon. 

current scores

Gardening since 2/12/21
Cap1 Qs $500
Citi secured-$300
Gettington-$800
Nfcu cash rewards $7000
NFCU nreward sec-$300
ch7 discharge 2013
Message 2 of 5
Azza
Regular Contributor

Hmm. Going to guess 650-730 score. Whatcha got?

Honestly with those SLs (spending limits), the best way to go is just hold your cards, use each one a bit, pay it off in full each month and let your credit score rise over time. We call it "gardening". No new applications for credit and no hard pulls (so that means sometimes no requests for CLIs).

After six months to a year, when your credit score has gone up, if you report your income then, there is a chance you can receive an "auto-CLI" where they give you an increase without a hard pull or you asking. If they don't, and you really REALLY like your card, you can call in and ask for a CLI. If it's a soft pull, neat! Your new credit score should speak for itself and you have a good shot at getting an increase. If they ask for a hard pull, then hang up and ask yourself if it's worth it. If it's just some generic platinum card, maybe find a rewards card. If it's a card with benefits like cash back or points then maybe it's worth the pull.

Treat a pull as a new application for additional credit. A hard pull can get you a new card, or improve one.

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Unfortunately its different for different lenders. Growing card limits with capital one can be difficult, especially when the starting limits are low.

You have to use at least half of the credit line, make more than the minimum payment for at least 3 months before your cli request.

On the plus side, the cli are soft pulls.

Don't beat yourself up if you find it difficult to grow your limits though, applying for a prime card when your scores have improved might be a better option down the road. 

Also after 3 months, you can product change your platinums to Quicksilver using a link found on this forum.

Message 4 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so I have 3 credit cards

1. Opensky SCC- 2500 CL

2. Capital One Platinum- 300 CL

3. Credit One Platinum- 300 CL

So the opensky cc is manly my household bills (internet, power, phone, garbage, insurance) with is only around 500 so around 20% 

The other 2 I just use randomly for a 50 dollar charge to keep utilization under 25% on cards

how can I get the capital one card to get a increase. I did just get both 300 dollar cards and I know that capital one says in 6 months they could give a CLI but my question is 

do I need to put more on it to show them it isn't enough and pay it in full monthly or use it a lot and pay multiple times a month to show i can spend it and pay it back?? 

That's one thing I never understood was to get CLI do you need to run up the amount and pay it off multiple times in a month then down the road ask and let them see it's not enough to get you through a billing cycle? Or just use it a little and hope they bump it up?? 

Those cards are basically starter cards so it will be hard to raise them significantly.  You can try heavy spend it may or may not work but imo just use them to establish payment history and as yoyr score improves use as a springboard to better cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.