Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing question?

tag
Spanky23
Established Member

Billing question?

I have two cards. One will report as it's my best buy and I'm taking advantage of the no interest to pay off my laptop. My utilization is under 25% but both of my cards have been reporting lately.

My payment is due by the 12th but statement cuts on the 17th

I usually make my PIF payment before the 12th, but do I have to be PIF by the 17th as well for it to report 0? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Billing question?

@Spanky23 wrote:

I have two cards. One will report as it's my best buy and I'm taking advantage of the no interest to pay off my laptop. My utilization is under 25% but both of my cards have been reporting lately.

My payment is due by the 12th but statement cuts on the 17th

I usually make my PIF payment before the 12th, but do I have to be PIF by the 17th as well for it to report 0? 

Yes

Message 2 of 4
Spanky23
Established Member

So obviously make a full payment before the 12th and then if I charge after that ANOTHER payment before the 17th? Just to get it straight!

Message 3 of 4
growing123
Regular Contributor

@Spanky23 wrote:

So obviously make a full payment before the 12th and then if I charge after that ANOTHER payment before the 17th? Just to get it straight!

Yes.

I only look at the statement date.  Using your dates, as long as you PIF by the statement date of 17th, then 1) You know '0' will report and 2) There won't be anything due on your actual due-date of the 12th. 

If this is the account you let a small balance report, then let it report on the 17th, and then PIF a day or two afterwards.  You'll be in the same position with not owing anything on your actual due-date on the 12th of next month.

This took me awhile to understand. lol  Only thing I would caution is if you've been carrying a balance, this might take a month or two to get right.  Hopefully I haven't confused you!

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.