Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bon Ton is Closing Out Cards :(

tag
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bon Ton is Closing Out Cards :(

I'm really sad about it. I do a lot of internet shopping but I want to be able to see in person, feel, and try on clothes before I buy. Not a fan of the hassle of returns via mail/UPS/ Fed Ex. Younkers was my first (and usually successful) stop when I needed clothes or shoes. Waaaahhhh  Smiley Sad

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 11 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Dalmus wrote:

Bon Ton is partially the victim of internet shopping, sure... but they are also a victim of their own stupidity.  They leveraged too much debt to buy too many regional store brands and rather than consolidating them all under one name (short term hurt, sure, due to customer loyalty to the old name) and using national ad buys to efficiently market themselves, they kept all the regional names, pretty much forcing themselves into a bloated marketing budget that had to duplicate its efforts for each different store name.

Sad, for sure.

Bon-Ton did not take on the debts, the vulture capitalists that owned them loaded the corporation with debt while extracting all the worth for themselves its the same thing that happened to Toys-R-Us.

Message 12 of 15
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

Bon Ton is partially the victim of internet shopping, sure... but they are also a victim of their own stupidity.  They leveraged too much debt to buy too many regional store brands and rather than consolidating them all under one name (short term hurt, sure, due to customer loyalty to the old name) and using national ad buys to efficiently market themselves, they kept all the regional names, pretty much forcing themselves into a bloated marketing budget that had to duplicate its efforts for each different store name.

Sad, for sure.

Bon-Ton did not take on the debts, the vulture capitalists that owned them loaded the corporation with debt while extracting all the worth for themselves its the same thing that happened to Toys-R-Us.

Exactly.  Its the story of MANY venerable companies that went bankrupt. Whenever I see a reasonably sucessful private corp being acquired by a holding group, I cringe, an am not surprised when I hear about the bankruptcy 5-10 years later.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my take on the indoor shopping mall death.  People got fat.  Didn't want to walk from one end of the mall to the other.  WalMarts have a dozen electric scooters each.  Shopping malls had none.

There is also a direct correlation between the failure of indoor shopping malls and pharmacies being on every corner in town.  The population grew old, they don't go shopping anyway and the younger generation buys everything on the internet.

I can tell you another trick.  WalMart stopped their price matching policy except with their own website.  Everything on WalMart.com that is edible is way more expensive on the internet than it is at a store.  They kinda force you to visit their grocery section to shop.  That way you'll walk by and pick up more stuff.

Message 14 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kberly69 wrote:

I received an email today saying that my Younkers card is being closed due to the Bon Ton bankruptcy.  Can't use it as of today, nor can we use any rewards accrued. It will be closed in June. Bummer Smiley Sad

@kberly69 wrote:

I received an email today saying that my Younkers card is being closed due to the Bon Ton bankruptcy.  Can't use it as of today, nor can we use any rewards accrued. It will be closed in June. Bummer Smiley Sad

Yep, same thing here for Elder-Beerman and one of my oldest retail cards before they were transferred from HSBC to Comenity.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.