Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a car with AMEX plat

tag
elixerin
Established Contributor

Buying a car with AMEX plat

can anyone share any experience with going about this? i recently opened the AMEX plat a couple days ago and ran about 33-34k thru it before they asked for a payment so i sent 32k and am now thinking about getting (maybe financing) a car for 15-20k a while before first statement cuts(Feb 5)... dont really know how to go about the whole process, or if its even an option with most dealers.

all thoughts appreciated c:

22 REPLIES 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Buying a car with AMEX plat

It can be done, but most dealers won't allow it. Typical max they'll allow is about $3-4k. They don't want to pay the fees.

Message 2 of 23
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@elixerin wrote:

can anyone share any experience with going about this? i recently opened the AMEX plat a couple days ago and ran about 33-34k thru it before they asked for a payment so i sent 32k and am now thinking about getting (maybe financing) a car for 15-20k a while before first statement cuts(Feb 5)... dont really know how to go about the whole process, or if its even an option with most dealers.

all thoughts appreciated c:

If they are sticking it to you, they will allow it.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex have a car buying program that will let you charge up to $2k or the whole car purchase depending on the dealership. If they are charging you the fee, it is not worth it. You are only getting 1 point per dollar on your Platinum card. 

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/

Message 4 of 23
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

not sure about other dealerships but Honda allowed me to put 5k on my card...

Message 5 of 23
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

I was able to put $5,000 on my credit card for both a BMW and a Porsche purchase in the past.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ironically i just put the down payment on my platinum yesterday. 5k, no fees, no issues

Message 7 of 23
jbestman007
Contributor

I know it can be done. My buddy paid for his Tesla Model S outright using his AMEX Platinum. Final cost was over 60k. Of course, he then turned around and paid AMEX immediately. Said he did it for the points. 

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbestman007 wrote:

I know it can be done. My buddy paid for his Tesla Model S outright using his AMEX Platinum. Final cost was over 60k. Of course, he then turned around and paid AMEX immediately. Said he did it for the points. 

I wonder if he got the best deal. Usually when you do, they won't give you anything else regarding discounts, including eating credit card fees, which is at least a discount to you equal to the point percentage you are getting. The other part of the "discount" in fees goes to the card companies. 

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used my Amex for a $10,000 down payment at a chevy dealer.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.