Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CL decrease question

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

CL decrease question

I see posts on here from time to time about people getting their credit lines decreased. I know some of them are from nonuse and old stuff showing up on their credit but I am curious about people who have cards maxed out. Let's say when my freedom card with a 500 limit comes in, I charge 450 to it and then pif.....is that considered maxing it out or is it from people getting close to the limit and then running a balance for several months?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
codimom
Frequent Contributor

Re: CL decrease question

Like I said before, Chase narfed my limit once I paid off my balance -- i was paying it off, not charging more. they said it appeared as though I didnt NEED that high of a limit... but they didn't balance chase me down.. they just cut it once I paid it off.

I now firmly believe that a CC would not give you a limit if they didn't want you to use your credit.  As long as you PIF, you should be golden.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 2 of 7
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

@codimom wrote:

Like I said before, Chase narfed my limit once I paid off my balance -- i was paying it off, not charging more. they said it appeared as though I didnt NEED that high of a limit... but they didn't balance chase me down.. they just cut it once I paid it off.

I now firmly believe that a CC would not give you a limit if they didn't want you to use your credit.  As long as you PIF, you should be golden.

when my chase was always full before, they would send me a payment offer via mail allowing me to freeze the card and taking off 200 the balance for free. I said no.

I paid the card in full, and they me increase.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 3 of 7
ds3
Regular Contributor

Worst thing that ever happened to me with a credit card was a Royal Caribbean Visa (BofA) that had a $3k limit. I used it to pay $2,975 for a cruise for the points. BofA took it upon themselves to decide I couldn't be trusted with a $3k limit and reduced it to $1500, then promptly closed it and sent it to collections,demanding the balance be paid in full because I was $1475 over the limit. I have 1 more year to go to wait them out and have it drop off my credit reports. They never could give me a straight answer on why my limit was decreased.

Message 4 of 7
vizon
Regular Contributor

@ds3 wrote:

Worst thing that ever happened to me with a credit card was a Royal Caribbean Visa (BofA) that had a $3k limit. I used it to pay $2,975 for a cruise for the points. BofA took it upon themselves to decide I couldn't be trusted with a $3k limit and reduced it to $1500, then promptly closed it and sent it to collections,demanding the balance be paid in full because I was $1475 over the limit. I have 1 more year to go to wait them out and have it drop off my credit reports. They never could give me a straight answer on why my limit was decreased.

If it happened as you said, that's not legal. 

Message 5 of 7
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@vizon wrote:

@ds3 wrote:

If it happened as you said, that's not legal. 

Exactly what I was about to say!!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 7
ds3
Regular Contributor

I tried explaining to them it was illegal...it's BofA, the kings of not caring about silly things like laws.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.