Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI on Capital One

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

CLI on Capital One

I just got approved for the CapOne Platinum card @ $500. I’m wondering if CapOne has the same data points since I was last in the CC game, heavy usage with a soft pull CLI at 3 months then the credit steps increase at 5 months. Also, am i able to PC this card to the QS, or just the QS1? I’ll probably only have this card for a while, I burned everyone else
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: CLI on Capital One

Not an answer but I wanted to share a smidge of recent info... right before my 4th stmt cut last week I app'd for cli early, before the 5 month steps were up, and the letter came yesterday stating I did not use enough of my credit to merit an increase.  I don't even think they sp'd me because my Equifax report shows sp's and the last one Cap1 had done on me (review) was a month ago.  Anyhow, just thought I'd share my failure (due to lack of heavy use) to maybe go along with anyone else data points.

edit to add:  $500 plat, started end of Oct 2018

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Capital One CLI requests are soft pulls.

Definitely ask for a CLI before the Steps increase. In this case, take what you can get. A pre-Steps CLI won't reset the six-month wait before you're eligible for a CLI again, but the Steps increase will.

Using the card heavily and paying in full is the general MO for Capital One CLIs. However, the great majority of Capital One starter cards issued with low starting limits are forever stuck in a starter bucket and won't grow. Thw only way to know if you're an exception is to try. Smiley Happy

QuicksilverOnes are notoriously hard to upgrade. But upgrades occur frequently enough that you don't have to abandon hope. A handful of data points indicate that consecutive months of usage may help. I was able to PC two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage.

The bottom line is to use the card every month and call in and ask about upgrades every month. Don't get discouraged if this takes a while.

Message 3 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio I'm not trying to highjack this thread but I appreciate OP's question and need to know some more.  Is it the same for Platinum as well?  I was only using about $200-300, pif two or three times and got the "not enough" usage verbiage.  So I racked up $450.00 and sitting on it until a day or two before due date. (Is that how I should do the Platinum?)
Message 4 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Capital One Platinums are usually stuck in starter buckets and difficult to grow. But they're much easier to upgrade to Quicksilvers than QuicksilverOnes are.

Message 5 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Capital One Platinums are usually stuck in starter buckets and difficult to grow.

Awww, poop! I was afraid I got a dud.  Thanks for chiming back in.  

edit: okay, maybe the upgrade, if and when available, is my gameplan....thanks!

Message 6 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy, in case you missed my edit above, I noted that Platinums are much easier than QuicksilverOnes to upgrade. Unfortunately, the upgrade doesn't usually do much to change one's starter status. But you do get rewards without a fee. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is a YMMV issuer. My Plat (QS convert) managed to grow to $8250 with my last $2K CLI last year from $500 credit steps origins in 2014. 

But my usage was exactly what Cap likes to see - it got all of my spend that wasn’t a PlayStation category (and PlayStation was a Cap card too), lots of PIF with the occasional revolved balance for a month or two, never late even a day. 

Cap definitely likes lots of spend and lots of payment. Now that it’s been overshadowed by my other cards and has become a SD resident with SSFCU, I got denied a CLI for the first time in December. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I just got approved for the CapOne Platinum card @ $500. I’m wondering if CapOne has the same data points since I was last in the CC game, heavy usage with a soft pull CLI at 3 months then the credit steps increase at 5 months. Also, am i able to PC this card to the QS, or just the QS1? I’ll probably only have this card for a while, I burned everyone else

I started out with a secured cap1 plat, and at the mark it did graudate but no CLI.  little over a year, i emailed the cap1 EO (can google address) and they did let me change it to a QS (no AF) but i got no intro APR or spend bonus.  Still stuck at the starter limit and its been almost 2 years.  

The only way i know it get a better limit is to app another card and after 12 months, combine them.  Aside from that, its nice to throw a couple bucks at every 6 months and PIF to keep open and pad AAoA.

Message 9 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Heavenohio and @Saeren Good to know, thank you. @Icyhot hope you post back with your successes when they arrive.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.