Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI or more Cards

tag
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

CLI or more Cards

I am at a point where my TU only has one Inq on it, from B of A when got my last CLI.  So overall pretty clean.  Good UTL less than 10%.

I am asking advice if it is better to go for another CLI with B of A, which I know will be a hard pull, or better to get another card issuer that uses TU ?  All I have read is GE Money Bank does all TU and so does Barclays.

I do not really need any more cards as right now I have plenty, but I want higher limits on the cards I have.

Can anybody list of the cards I have (Chase, Citi, Discover, BofA, Wells) that only use TU for CLI ?

Thank you for your help.

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLI or more Cards

I tried to get a CLI from BofA around 6 months ago and they pulled TU (it was a HP, actually, even 2 HPs - one after filling in the CLI request online and another one - while speaking to their CSR on the phone when he called me to follow up on my request a couple of days later). Imagine how pissed I was to hear that BofA _couldn't_ increase my $500 limit even by mere $250 after wasting 2 HPs on it Smiley Very Happy

But afaik choice of CRA used by lenders depends also on a state where you live. I live in NJ.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 2 of 3
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI or more Cards

You should simply try for higher CLI's with the others and forget BofA.  If they can't give you CLI's without a soft pull then why waste your time developing that relationship?  They truly can get enough info from a soft pull to raise your limit.  It sounds to me that their policies are to shackle you to them by using a hard pull.  Capone uses a similar policy since they are also a subprime lender.  (Yes, BofA is also a subprime lender!  They do have Prime cards, but they also lend to people with damaged or short history.)  Capone tells their subprime cardholders to reapply so that there is a hard pull on their report, which lowers their score and decreases the chances they will get approved for a prime card or near prime card.  It effectively traps some people into depending on them for accounts.  These people then have to take another small limit with Capone and increase their chances of defaulting.  Maybe BofA is using a similar strategy to increase their fee income!

I would sock drawer the BofA card!  It also doesn't appear that you really need anymore credit cards for your file, so you should be good with reporting.  Just try and up the limits with the cards you have that don't do hard pulls.  (I would be more than happy with what you have!  I only have $13,000 of limits and I am pretty happy with this.  I am gardening at the moment so that one day I can get a Prime card with good rewards!  I don't even care about having a high limit with a Prime card, just a good interest rate and good rewards.)  If you do decide to get a new card, tailor it to your needs and what you want in rewards!  When I get that type of card I am done with getting new cards!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.