Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLIs on Graduated Discover Cards

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: CLIs on Graduated Discover Cards

You may not want to do it. But. You could apply and usually the second card is what opens the door to higher SL's and larger CLI's. It worked in my case. I didnt have secured. But 1st card which is now closed was $1200 out of BK in 2015. 2cd was if I remember correctly was $7800 in late 2017. Now $15,000. I think I was 720's then. No one has ever said the graduated card is in a bucket. Although I dont ever remember reading high CL's that started as a secured. Just a thought. Might be worth it.

Message 11 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
... But I think discover has become a little temperamental lately. I've been scared to even attempt a credit limit increase after what I've read.

What have you read? 

I've been reading about those tax forms discover has been handing out lately. I'm assuming this is because they're tightening the purse strings.

Thats for the big money players. There's a few here Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15
JamP
Valued Contributor

My DW secured card graduated a long time ago and she runs around 800 credit score and it has received 300 cli increases every so often maybe every 3 to 6 months if shes lucky. Nothing much lately. It started at 200 CL and now is at 3300. It definitely has not grown like my Discover card.

I've thought about having her apply for a new IT card and see if she could roll the old IT card into the new IT card.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 13 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@JamP yeah I am definitely starting to think these cards are a bit handicapped after graduation. I helped my uncle apply for a Discover It about 6 months ago for a 0% BT offer. He had a relatively thin file and scores in the high 600s. They started him at $10,000 and gave him an automatic increase to $12,000 after just 3 months of having the card. 

Message 14 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

UPDATE: Well I hit the button again this month. I received a letter in the mail today from Discover giving a legitimate reason for denying my CLI requests. It basically lists the same reason stated three different ways: 

"BUREAU REPORTS TOO MANY REV ACCTS W/HIGH BAL TO CREDIT LINE RATIO"

"BUREAU REPORTS INCREASING BAL TO CREDIT LIMIT RATIO ON OPEN TRADES"

"BUREAU REPORTS HIGH BALANCE HISTORY ON BANKCARDS."

Thery also mentioned my score in the letter, which was 649 at the time. They referenced the one they pull each month that is shown on my statement, so they didn't pull a fresh one specifically for this request. I definitely understand and recognize the issues they are referring to and I am actually glad I got a real answer, rather than "NOT ENOUGH EXPERIENCE AT CURRENT CREDIT LIMIT" BS they had been saying for a year since my card graduated.

The good news is that my open cards will all be paid off in 2-3 months, so I will request a CLI after those are done and reporting at zero. Hopefully, Discover will be more cooperative then. I will also mention that I believe it has been one full year now since my card graduated, so maybe there is some kind of restriction on the timing of CLIs after a secured card graduates. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.