Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP 5k limit

tag
red259
Super Contributor

CSP 5k limit

The CSP has a min credit line of 5k. I have read on here that Chase does not like to be the first to give someone a 5K limit. I was denied for lack of/too few open revolving accounts. I obtained a Chase Freedom card at 3k limit and a C1 Venture at 5k. When I decide to apply for CSP again, after aging these accounts, is the fact I have a card at the 5k limit with another issuer  now going to mollify them? Does getting a 5k credit limit in general start to open doors with other companies to their higher cards assuming everything else is in order on credit report?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Re: CSP 5k limit

YMMV but it certainly did for me. I didn't have any CL's above $2k before 2 months ago. When PayPal SC up'd by CL to $5k the doors flew open. Last 3 weeks...FNBO AMEX $6k CL, Chase Freedom Visa Sig $5k CL, Chase Saphire Visa Sig $5k CL and AMEX PRG (NPSL)...FYI, I believe all Chase Sapphire's are Visa Sig's as the starting CL is $5k.
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@red259 wrote:

The CSP has a min credit line of 5k. I have read on here that Chase does not like to be the first to give someone a 5K limit. I was denied for lack of/too few open revolving accounts. I obtained a Chase Freedom card at 3k limit and a C1 Venture at 5k. When I decide to apply for CSP again, after aging these accounts, is the fact I have a card at the 5k limit with another issuer  now going to mollify them? Does getting a 5k credit limit in general start to open doors with other companies to their higher cards assuming everything else is in order on credit report?

Yes, higher limits do in time bring on other high limits. 

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

My Chase Sapphire was my first 5k limit. Before I got it I only had the 2 cap 1 cards (500, and 1k), and best buy card at 1k. 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 4 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

do store cards with $5k CL count?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 10
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

do store cards with $5k CL count?

There have been posts stating Chase doesn't consider any Store Cards. So it depends. 

Message 6 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yeah Ive also seen those post...

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 10
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

When I applied for my Chase Freedom back in February, I initially got approved for 3k. I recon'd to up the limit to 5k the same day and got approved instantly. My 6k Discover account wasn't reporting yet at the time (opened late Jan) and my highest limit at the time was my $3,500 Chevron gas card. I don't think they necessarily mind giving out the first 5k+ credit line as long as your CR can back it up. Mind you, I also had 30 day late back in July 2010 for a car loan. YMMV.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 8 of 10
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@jakemod1 wrote:

When I applied for my Chase Freedom back in February, I initially got approved for 3k. I recon'd to up the limit to 5k the same day and got approved instantly. My 6k Discover account wasn't reporting yet at the time (opened late Jan) and my highest limit at the time was my $3,500 Chevron gas card. I don't think they necessarily mind giving out the first 5k+ credit line as long as your CR can back it up. Mind you, I also had 30 day late back in July 2010 for a car loan. YMMV.

I think $3,500 was close enough to 5K to make them feel comfortable. I also think a relationship with banks also work well. For example, my highest CL was $2,500 when I applied for my CSP. However, I had a Freedom since December 2012 and had heavy usage+PIF. So I think they used my banking history with them as a way to give me my first 5K limit. So I think it could be a combination of things. 

Message 9 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

That brings up another question I had. Should I put the bulk of my spending through chase freedom vs my venture card in the hopes of increasing my chances of getting approved for the sapphire in six months? Rewards wise on paper it would seem I would get better rewards back with the 2 points per $ on my venture than I do through the freedom (with the exception of the quarterly category spending. Is this the case or is the Freedom better for rewards as well? What would Chase consider enough spend to show me as a good prospect for the CSP? (I can run a number of expenses through it if I need to)

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.