cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP - 7-10 - Denied on Recon. What next?

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

CSP - 7-10 - Denied on Recon. What next?

Well 6 months in the garden (and six months short history) I came out and decided to go for the tough application on a risk as I really need a card that doesn't have forex, travel rewards and a decent limit. Chase recently gave me an auto CLI to $1k last week, and given I had my bankers recommendation figured I'd give this a go so applied in branch.

Called recon up not long ago, asked on application status - initial app was denied for too short history etc. Figured this was going to be the hurdle that I had to cross. So pleaded my case after writing down the things I had going for me (good job, relationship with chase, freedom payment history, how much i spend on reimbursable travel), got it reconned (went to a higher up) - denied because of a lack of a 5k limit or sufficient payment history with Chase to support the application. So much for hammering the Freedom at 2.5k a month - Apparently only your limit matters. From what the representative said, apparently they'd be happier me going somewhere else for credit to get a higher limit and also longer history with them. Wouldn't say that was the best thing to be telling a customer. Interesting also that she used the fact that I got my freedom on a pre-approval against me suggesting it was basically pity credit which I also thought was rather poor form. So not sure where to go from here, feeling rather down especially that line about pre-approval pity (but I guess it was a slim chance in hell anyway).

Still planning on going for a PRG (need this to get a good backdate from my Australian account that I can't yet global transfer), but with no decent revolving credit limit card paying for reimbursable travel is going to be a pain in the backside for an age. If I get the Amex and the backdating takes effect, should I try another recon with chase? or try again before that. Or should I see if I could get a revolver on the same pull as a PRG? Alternatively I guess I could take Discover up on their pre-approval, but thats a bit of a last resort.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Boragard
Established Contributor

Re: CSP - 7-10 - Denied on Recon. What next?

Call chase again, I had to recon for my freedom card 2 times! Lol.  You just need the right person to pick up...

Oh and a tip, if they sound unhappy when they pick up.  Hang up immediately and call back to get a nicer sounding rep.  Also, make your voice sound like you are smiling when speaking .  The guy mentioned I had Charge off on my CR, I never faltered told the truth, and never lost my beat.  As I was hanging up with him he even sounded happier.  So my theory, 

You sound happy + make rep happy = approval.  

Not scientifically tested though, lol.

Message 2 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Apply for the Capital One Venture Card (not sure if Quicksilver has no forex fees too) do the pre-approval though.

I would also give the chase recon another go too.

Message 3 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

Call chase again, I had to recon for my freedom card 2 times! Lol.  You just need the right person to pick up...

Oh and a tip, if they sound unhappy when they pick up.  Hang up immediately and call back to get a nicer sounding rep.  Also, make your voice sound like you are smiling when speaking .  The guy mentioned I had Charge off on my CR, I never faltered told the truth, and never lost my beat.  As I was hanging up with him he even sounded happier.  So my theory, 

I agree!

when I recon'ed my partners Fidelity account... she sounded almost excited that I was telling her how I considered some of our "other bank cards" mistakes once I found this card especially being with such a bank like Bank of America... I could almost throw up it sounded so stupid saying it but they only have your story and your credit report to go off of in a VERY short window to decide rather to approve you or not and to approve you for what limit... If I tell her I'm just looking to had another card to the portfolio but not use it... credit report alone might get it approved but if I want a limit that matches some of the highest limits in portfolio (or higher in your case) you need to show them a picture beyond just your credit of why that is needed or deserved.

Message 4 of 21
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

+1...agree with Boragard! call chase again! Tell them you are traveling abroad and need a good no forex fee chip card so you can use and you have heard great things about the CSP...mention you hava banking relationship with them and just want to stick to one bank.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you fail to get satisfaction with Chase go after the OCCU Duck or Beaver card, they are known for high start limits.

Message 6 of 21
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

recon ! recon ! recon ! you should be able to get it. Look at my post about CSP success. My scores are much lower than yours and i have tons of inqs. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 7 of 21
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

recon ! recon ! recon ! you should be able to get it. Look at my post about CSP success. My scores are much lower than yours and i have tons of inqs. 

Based on what I'm seeing, the OP doesn't have enough credit history or a strong history with Chase. Once you're in that zone with Chase, it's very hard to get approved for the CSP. Your best bet is to get a card with 5k (any card as long as it's not a store card) and hold it for 6 months of history or establish a better connection by getting an Chase card with an easier approval (Freedom). Chase is very picky about this subject. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 21
medic13
Established Member

Recon again it took a 3rd recon for me to get my first freedom with them.  Its all about finding the right person, and having the right attitude.  

Message 9 of 21
rlx01
Established Contributor

HUCA (hang up, call again). Do this until they say yes.

How about trying for the Barclays Arrival with AF? They might give you a chance, and TU pulls are cheap.

I don't really understand why Chase won't give you higher limits. I really think you should be focusing on AMEX since Chase get jealous when they see that on your credit reports.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.