Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP/CSR Revamp at some point?

tag
imastarboy
Established Member

Possible Fall 2021 Sapphire Revamp

Forgive me if this has already been posted but I came across this on another platform this evening. Thoughts?

Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards Agreement

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Agreement 

Things of note for CSP;

-5x for travel purchases through Chase portal.

-3x for dining, online groceries and select streaming services

-10% of your total yearly spend in anniversary bonus points.

Things of note for CSR;

-5x for airline purchases through Chase portal

-10x for hotel and rental car purchases through Chase portal 

-10x for purchases through Chase Dining.

Current:

Goal:

Message 11 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Possible Fall 2021 Sapphire Revamp

The 10% anniversary bonus used to be a feature of the CSP, till it got nerfed.  Interesting if this really happens

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it makes a lot of sense to bring the Sapphire Preferred dining multiplier into balance with the new CF/CFF/CFU multiplier. Likewise, adding the 5x on the Chase portal to catch up to the no-AF cards. Plus, with the 10% anniversary bonus it effectively amounts to 3.3x and 5.5x, respectively, which is a slight improvement over the no-AF cards.

The Sapphire Reserve getting all of the added multipliers through the Chase portal is somewhat disappointing as I often find better prices elsewhere and prefer not to book with third-party services.

Overall, I am whelmed by these changes.

Message 13 of 24
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Online groceries is meh.  Why can't Chase just give a grocery multiplier without strings attached? 

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the other platform* they're also reporting a $50 credit for hotel purchases on the CSP. That will definitely pique my interest if the annual fee stays at $95.

*Are we allowed to say which one? Is it against the rules to name outside websites, or is OP being cagey?

Message 15 of 24
imastarboy
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

*Are we allowed to say which one? Is it against the rules to name outside websites, or is OP being cagey?

I considered myself erring on the side of caution but by all means go ahead......

Do keep in mind that the $50 credit appears to go toward portal purchases only, if that matters to you.

Current:

Goal:

Message 16 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On the other platform* they're also reporting a $50 credit for hotel purchases on the CSP. That will definitely pique my interest if the annual fee stays at $95.

If you could earn 45,000 points a year on the CSP for a 4500 point anniversary credit with the hotel credit included one could cover the entire annual fee for the CSP. I expect too that it will stay at $95 to be competitive with the Citi. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 17 of 24
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Knew it! 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSR-Revamp-at-some-point/m-p/6349967

Not sure if it makes sense for me, guess we'll see.

Thanks for the post!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 18 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it makes a lot of sense to bring the Sapphire Preferred dining multiplier into balance with the new CF/CFF/CFU multiplier. Likewise, adding the 5x on the Chase portal to catch up to the no-AF cards. Plus, with the 10% anniversary bonus it effectively amounts to 3.3x and 5.5x, respectively, which is a slight improvement over the no-AF cards.

The Sapphire Reserve getting all of the added multipliers through the Chase portal is somewhat disappointing as I often find better prices elsewhere and prefer not to book with third-party services.

Overall, I am whelmed by these changes.

Sadly I think 10x on hotels won't be a difference maker for the card. You can do better going direct and having a card with a particular hotel brand. If you want a non-brand booking you can go through something like hotels.com where every 10th night is free and also get affiliate marketing points, if not a spend bonus going through the United or AA shopping portal.

Then comes the problem is you can only have one or the other, a CSP or a CSR. Either you collect the anniversary points spending with the CSP or you get the 10x hotels with the CSR. The CSP also has the added benefit of 3x online groceries which is more significant than 3x drugstores.

This is going to change things quite a bit for me. At the moment I've been using CFF as my daily driver and sock drawering my CSP, using it mainly as a pass through card but putting Lyft charges on there because its 5x. Now I'm incentivized to use the CSP over the CFF because of the anniversary points in every situation EXCEPT drugstores and the 5x quarterly category. So much for wallet simplification around the CFF. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 19 of 24
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Chase Making Changes To Chase Sapphire Reserve & Preferred Cards

From Doctor of Credit:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-making-changes-to-chase-sapphire-reserve-preferred-cards-hotel-...

Chase Sapphire Preferred Changes

• $50 Annual Hotel Credit. This is per cardmember year, rather than calendar year.
  • Card earns at the following rates:
    • 5x on travel booked through the Chase Travel portal.
    • 3x on Dining/Streaming Services/online grocery (excludes: excluding Target, Walmart and
      wholesale clubs)
    • 2x on travel
    • 1x on all other purchases
    • 10% Anniversary point bonus. When you renew your card Chase will offer a 10% bonus on points earned. For example if you earn 25,000 bonus points you’d get 2,500 bonus points. This is award after the annual fee is paid. This doesn’t apply to the sign up bonus.

Chase Sapphire Reserve Changes

• Card earns at the following rates:
    • 10x on Chase dining, hotel and car rental purchases through Chase Travel portal
    • 5x on airline travel booked through the Chase Travel portal.
    • 3x on all other dining and all other travel
    • 1x on all other purchases
SD - Biz -
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.