Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP and Freedom Combo

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

CSP and Freedom Combo

Okay...so now that i have both, I can finally do the combo...I'm a little confused though and no thread that i've been able to read has clarified for me yet.

I understand that CSP allows you to transfer for airline miles, and the combo is good because you can transfer from Freedom to CSP. BUT, to my knowledge, I thought you got cash back, not points. Or do you get both? That part confuses me. 

Or...do you get points through the freedom, and the ONLY thing you can redeem is for either cash, or transfer them...is this correct or no?

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP and Freedom Combo

Hey zeusta20,
Both cards earn ultimate rewards points that can be redeemed for gift cards- cash back etc... The CSPs ultimate rewards points are worth more because they can be transferred 1:1 for frequent travel programs directly with the airlines. One can increase the earnings potential by using the 5% spending bonus on Freedom and combine the UR points with CSP for a greater return on airline redemption. Hope this helps.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 8
laboi_22
Established Contributor

With the Freedom you get one point for each dollar and five points for each dollar in bonus categories. You can redeem those points for cash back so for example if you have 3100 points you have $31 in cash back. I only use my Freedom for the 5% bonus then transfer those points to my CSP. I love the 5% or five points per dollar bonus. This next quarter it includes restaurants. Ill be using my freedom there instead of CSP. It's a great combo for earning no other travel combo lets you earn this many points. Enjoy
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 3 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Im glad you asked this... I was confused also.
Now Im mad that I got cashback when I could have gotten a vacation :-( lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 8
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Luckily for me, I learned about this before hand! haha.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 5 of 8
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:
With the Freedom you get one point for each dollar and five points for each dollar in bonus categories. You can redeem those points for cash back so for example if you have 3100 points you have $31 in cash back. I only use my Freedom for the 5% bonus then transfer those points to my CSP. I love the 5% or five points per dollar bonus. This next quarter it includes restaurants. Ill be using my freedom there instead of CSP. It's a great combo for earning no other travel combo lets you earn this many points. Enjoy

Ohhh...Okay, yea...that makes more sense now. I was thinking it was only cash, not points. Good to know!

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 6 of 8
noobody
Established Contributor

I am so so regret I redeem 40K UR points for $400 statement credit, I could get a one way ticket to Asia

but over all, through applying new card(csp+united 95K), buying/begging from friends (40K) , and some spending, I got 1 round trip FIRST class tickets to Asia (140K UA miles) , could cost well over $10,000.

redeem UR points to cash is biggest waste 

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 7 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:

redeem UR points to cash is biggest waste 

Not for a person who has no immediate plans to travel, or never fly on airplanes because of a phobia, or can't stay in hotels.  In this case, much better value than MR or Thank You points.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.