Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP noticed by clerk

tag
red259
Super Contributor

CSP noticed by clerk

I know there have been prior discussions about whether or not merchants have ever said anything about the CSP and I just thought I would share what happened today. I went into a burger king and used my CSP to pay. The clerk at the register asked my permission to show the card to the other clerk that was next to him because she had never seen one before. Clearly they had discussed the card earlier because he reacted the instant he saw it. I am kind of suprised because I live in a pretty high end area so I am sure there are lots of people with the card walking around, but maybe she was new. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
resilient
Established Contributor

Re: CSP noticed by clerk

I used to get that too...too bad it doesn't look like the card in the commercials though

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 2 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe because I live in New York City but considering the fact Chase is everywhere and that the card "only" need 5k credit limit, I have seen that card everywhere. 

I was working retail (perfume store) for 1 month between job, niche brand, not high end but you know... everybody seemed to have it and I was kinda jealous because I was starting credit. (I still am)

I have seen the CSP version with the "CHASE PRIVATE CLIENT" mention though... Heart

One day, some guy paid with a Centurion and I did not took care of him but was standing next to my coworker. When he left I told her, "I haven't seen one that close" and she looked at me like I was weirdo.  I remember she said "well I haven't paid attention, I'm just looking at the register saying 'approved' and make sure my comission check gets bigger"

Same girl, who wears fancy brands and save 3 months paychecks to buy a Prada bag with her regular BofA Cash Rewards she put on autopay.  

I have similar stories like that. Haha

And then you have custumers who show up, buy 5 bottles of perfumes with a dirty Chase debit card.  Smiley Happy

While I was an AU on my mom's CSP back in 2011 when it started (I think..) I remember the barista at Sbux checking it like wow, now people swipe cards like they don't really care, they barely watch them.  

Bottom line, a cool looking CC is more for yourself than to show off, I mean I am not stupid I prefer paying with my Amex than a Capital One (no offense!! I have both) but no cashier really cares honestly, and if they do, it just makes people uncomfortable. 

The CSP is now everywhere*, a friend who works at Chase told me they're pushing it like crazy and wants them in every wallet because of the AF and the siggy swipping fees. 

* and also it is a REALLY good card. 

Just my 3 cents.. ha!

Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

I know there have been prior discussions about whether or not merchants have ever said anything about the CSP and I just thought I would share what happened today. I went into a burger king and used my CSP to pay. The clerk at the register asked my permission to show the card to the other clerk that was next to him because she had never seen one before. Clearly they had discussed the card earlier because he reacted the instant he saw it. I am kind of suprised because I live in a pretty high end area so I am sure there are lots of people with the card walking around, but maybe she was new. 

Nice but also be careful.  As long as they hand it back quickly thats OK since that is how the fraud happens.  I am not saying the people at BK are fraudsters but you never know. I did a quick stink in banking - 2 months a long time ago lol (not for me).  I remember customers give me their debits cards for transactions and after looking at it, I am able to pull the card number from memory with out asking them I need it to pull out their accounts the next time they come in. I did it from memory. I don't know if people have memory like that so be careful.

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wolly, doesn't seem like they're pushing it that hard with them upping the spend bonus.
Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolly 

Agreed. The "having Chase Sapphire card" doesn't even make me take a second look whenever we have some arrogant guy purposely trying to show the card is metal and superior when he clashes it down on the counter as he randomly claims "You got to have a lot of money to have this card" whereas I then like to tell him about my AMEX Gold and how everyone has a CSP here in town, lol. 

Not hating on the CSP as I find it the most attractive looking card! Our cashiers don't really even care. I've seen them hold Centurion cards (as they have to punch in the last four digits) and not even know what they are holding, lol. 

Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe because I live in New York City but considering the fact Chase is everywhere and that the card "only" need 5k credit limit, I have seen that card everywhere. 

I was working retail (perfume store) for 1 month between job, niche brand, not high end but you know... everybody seemed to have it and I was kinda jealous because I was starting credit. (I still am)

I have seen the CSP version with the "CHASE PRIVATE CLIENT" mention though... Heart

One day, some guy paid with a Centurion and I did not took care of him but was standing next to my coworker. When he left I told her, "I haven't seen one that close" and she looked at me like I was weirdo.  I remember she said "well I haven't paid attention, I'm just looking at the register saying 'approved' and make sure my comission check gets bigger"

Same girl, who wears fancy brands and save 3 months paychecks to buy a Prada bag with her regular BofA Cash Rewards she put on autopay.  

I have similar stories like that. Haha

And then you have custumers who show up, buy 5 bottles of perfumes with a dirty Chase debit card.  Smiley Happy

While I was an AU on my mom's CSP back in 2011 when it started (I think..) I remember the barista at Sbux checking it like wow, now people swipe cards like they don't really care, they barely watch them.  

Bottom line, a cool looking CC is more for yourself than to show off, I mean I am not stupid I prefer paying with my Amex than a Capital One (no offense!! I have both) but no cashier really cares honestly, and if they do, it just makes people uncomfortable. 

The CSP is now everywhere*, a friend who works at Chase told me they're pushing it like crazy and wants them in every wallet because of the AF and the siggy swipping fees. 

* and also it is a REALLY good card. 

Just my 3 cents.. ha!

Wolly, I have to strongly disagree... Everybody knows the way some clerk (no offense, but, working their go nowehere job) swipes your card and quite often takes that quick look and you can literally see it wash over them as if... "Hmmm". I gotta say you kinda did your self by saying "a dirty Chase debit card"Not saying you did intentionally, but I'm sure you understand how it can look.

Nothing though was as bad as the ungrateful guy who compared his CREDIT BUILDING CAPITAL ONE to a low end high mileage car.

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very strange how people perceive those whom have wealth. If I worked in the retail or restaurant world I would be more impressed when someone came in and spent 800 dollars on a nice lunch (buys a $400 bottle of Bordeaux, only drinks on glass-leaves the rest of the bottle) and didn't make a big deal about it. That would be the guy or gal that I would think had some bookoo bucks. Not someone paying for a McCafe Latte with a card that's made out of metal, like a CSP. I think it was brilliant marketing by Chase though, from a business standpoint, they nailed it. 

OP, I am not picking on you for posting this, I just find it funny when clerks get stoked about seeing a fancy credit card. Padardoxically, I just want to buy my Ferrari on a Bluebird card.

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd honesty be surprised in some towns who has TRUE wealth and who is just another false flaunt. Some folks who I'm talking about are the ones who come into my work place, look like they just got out from living underneath a bridge (you wouldn't even think they have a penny to their name), very nice and modest attitude, whip out an AMEX or even a normal debit card, and later see them get into a Maserati. That's true old money class right there to me. Now the idiots on the other side of the spectrum that give the illusion they are something.... 98.9% aren't and don't have a pot to **** in, lol. 

From coming in a upper class town, I can honestly say one thing: Just because you drive a new BMW or Benz does NOT mean you are wealthy-- for all I know you could be struggling to make payments and are up to your head in debt. 

Message 9 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a pot to **** in but I do like flashy cards...lol.
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.