Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling All Ballers: Highest Card Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Calling All Ballers: Highest Card Limit

Currently mine is 22k Amex ED still patiently waiting for my 61 days CLI Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Some of these limits are scary when you think about paying them back. Maxing out $100k means a $2000 a month payment. It's no wonder people end up filing bankruptcy when they charge away. Smiley Frustrated

That's why I keep my limits low.  Some people on here have a total limit-to-income ratio that is scary.

Message 22 of 75
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Peteyglad wrote:

Some of these limits are scary when you think about paying them back. Maxing out $100k means a $2000 a month payment. It's no wonder people end up filing bankruptcy when they charge away. Smiley Frustrated

All depends on your income. 

This exactly, and I'm sure it also goes without saying that underwriters don't typically allow banks to hand out really high limits unless there's little risk involved. 

The highest limit I have on my reports (well TU and EX at least, now that all of my AU cards have disappeared from my EQ report) is my wife's BoA card at $90,000.  She's had it since 2001 (it was originally an MBNA account acquired by BoA) and it last saw a purchase around 2006, I believe.  Lots of balance transfers have passed through it over the years.  It was at $22k until about 18 months ago, when we began asking for occasional CLIs (they gave her an auto-CLI to $25k 2 years ago or so). With HPs, it went to $40k, $60k, and $70k, then on Monday with the new SP CLIs we asked for $100k again, and they counter-offered with $90k.  She has about 10 cards, plus she's an AU on about 10 of mine either because they are/were daily drivers or in a few cases for utilization and AAoA boosts.  Her FICO 08 scores are all currently in the 790-810 range.

The highest limit that I actually have (although I think that I may actually be able to charge considerably more on my Amex Platinum if I actually tried) is my BoA Travel Rewards card at $56,600.  I've had it since 2005, and it was also an MBNA card originally.  One thing that's important to note is that some here may have significant numbers across more than one product with a lender, and this is a case of where I'll soon be closing and moving my Cash Rewards to this one to boost it up to $71,600, but if I wanted to I could call BoA today to close the Cash Rewards and Premium Rewards cards and make my Travel Rewards card a $99,900 limit.  Anyway, as with DW's card this one hasn't seen swipes in at least a decade but has churned through numerous balance transfer offers.  It was at a $5,100 limit until about 2 1/2 years ago when they gave me a $3,000 auto-CLI.  It has had numerous increases (some later moved around automatically by BoA to other cards).

For the time being, I am capped at $99,900 with BoA due to "sufficient credit limits with Bank of America and/or its affiliates."  Not sure if DW can break the $100k mark; we'll likely ask in about 6 months.  A year ago, my goal was to have a $100,000 revolver with both Amex and BoA.  Amex killed my dreams on my last request on my daily driver (SPG) with a denial after submitting a 4506-T.  It's already been asked in this thread why people need such large limits.  With my SPG's low (to me) $21,000 limit I have exceeded my credit limit through regular spend twice in the past month since there was a pending payment but my combined statement balance and spending since statement close were well over.  Fortunately, I never ran into any issues with being declined.  The constant 50-65% utilization reporting at statement close on it obviously hasn't been helping my scores.  I would say that it's entirely reasonable to expect a credit line of 8-10x your average spend on a credit card; Amex oddly thinks differently when it comes to revolvers for me, but they've never had an issue with me spending large amounts on the charge cards.

Message 23 of 75
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Peteyglad wrote:

All depends on your income. 

I get that it's relative to a person's income, but $2000 is $2000. And that's just one card. Someone who has that limit will have multiple cards with similar limits. Regardless, despite what it looks like, my comment was just about debt in general. There are plenty of people on here that can't get a limit that high, but can get 10, $10k limits with their lower income. Same boat, just different paint job. Only difference is they don't have the income to sustain $2k in payments. Guess I should have been clearer with my thoughts.

Message 24 of 75
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It all scales.  I can pay $10k+ a month on credit cards without being stretched, but if I were to add another $100k or so that I couldn't easily bounce around with BT offers I might find myself having difficulty getting out from under.  There are some others that can easily put down $100k a month in travel expenses no problem and more people that an extra $5,000 in balances could send them straight to 90+ day lates and bankruptcy.

Message 25 of 75
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

For the most part, yeah. My situation would allow me to charge and payback $100k easily despite only making about 65k, but I wouldn't want to, lol. I just don't know what I would spend all that money on. Shoot, I drive a 16 year old truck that still has less than 150k miles on it.

Message 26 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current highest limit is my Chase Sapphire Reserve with a $60,000 limit and my credit scores right now are at 780 TransUnion 790 Experian and 808 Equifax
And my other two are at $50,000 my Navy Flagship Card and my PenFed Promise Card just shooting for that magic 850 now
Message 27 of 75
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

I have a paltry 65k on my BOA BBR and 67k on my Chase Marriott. I have had BOA for a little over 4 years and Chase for just under 4 years. The BOA grew to combining my BBR and Fidelity limits and 2 HP CLI's and Chase grew just from account consolidation. 

Now, I do have a 50k Amex EDP that could grow to 96k if I wanted to combine limits and close out two other cards which I don't want to do at this time.

Oh, I don't consider 65K and 67K paltry -- particularly because you've only had both cards for such a short time.  It's inspring what can happen in 4 years.  What was your SCL on both these cards? 

It's interesting to me that these higher limits I'm seeing are almost always are achieved by a mixture of combining limits and CLI's.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 28 of 75
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Some of my higher ones include Capital One Venture $133,000, TD Bank $92,000, UNFCU Elite $85,000, WPCU $103,400.

@Anonymous being said, I still enjoy my smaller ones, which includes Kohl's @ $3,000, for instance 😁. Total combined tradelines (pers/biz) ~$2MM.

Finstar?  Nah.  Rockstar!  Those are the very definition of baller limits.  The two cards north of 100K, how did you do it?  CLI's + combining limits?  How long have you had them?  What's your DTI?  Income?  Scores?  

2 mili in total tradelines is just boss af!  Good for you, Finstar.  Seriously. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 29 of 75
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

$34,500 on my AMEX BCE. B of A is second runner up--but could soon be in first place if I request a CLI. Would love to get at least one card to $40K.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.