Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Amex before purchase

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Calling Amex before purchase

So here's the deal, last year's income was a 4th of what I make, but i listed that since that's what I had to verify via 4506..

Anyway, $5,700 income, my address is in NJ, but I live/go to college in Boston, MA.  Will a $150 dinner charge potentially get declined?  Should I call them beforehand?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: Calling Amex before purchase

I doubt it but you never really know with Amex you can always try the test charge by checking your spending ability

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 2 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

I just tested it for $500, approved.  Did $200 two days ago no problem there either.  Do you think they weigh the credit lines I have when assigning my soft-limit?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 19
n777ua
Established Contributor

Don't play with that "will my charge be approved" link too much; it can cause major issues. Trust me.
About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 19
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@n777ua wrote:
Don't play with that "will my charge be approved" link too much; it can cause major issues. Trust me.

+100!

Message 5 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I would not bother to call them, personally. I do not suspect you would have a problem unless this is something that is not your "normal spending pattern". That might raise some eyebrows but if you are looking at $150 max - do not worry.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 6 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@n777ua wrote:

Yeah, I'm afraid to go near it. I used it ONCE before using my card for the very first time, just to make sure that everything was activated properly and I was good to go. I tested it for $200 that one time and I haven't been near it since.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This button appears on my Delta card. Being a credit card and having no charge card with Amex I wondered why this button was there. Credit cards usually let you go to there limit. I then thought maybe its for going over the limit and typed an amount $1 over. It said if it was denied but if I linked a bank account it would be approved. This is something I find very weird and wont think of going over my limit but just thought id let you guys know.

Message 8 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

I will only use that feature once in a while when I really want to make sure a charge will go through.

Anyway, the bill ended up being $60, and the charge went through just fine!

Message 9 of 19
alph4
Regular Contributor

Back when I was in college, I had listed my income as $8g when I got my AMX Blue Cash.  I never wanted to list my parents income as a supplement.

Anyway, in my junior year of college, I bought a $1500 macbook, and the charge went through, no problem. I paid in full within 24 hours, but there were no issues at the mac store.

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.