Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I switch from USAA VISA to AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I switch from USAA VISA to AMEX?

The bank switching from Mastercard to VISA it had no ill effects on my reports - just the account was "edited" and not removed so I had the same history and account opened date but that was because the company changed.

But what if I wanted to change cards? If I wanted to replace the VISA with an AMEX, could I do this and if I was able to do so, would it effect my credit? Would there be a hard pull or anything?

6 REPLIES 6
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: Can I switch from USAA VISA to AMEX?

More than likely No

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct. I just called and they said I would have to apply again and it would be a hard pull.

It's OK, my USAA VISA is a sock drawer card plus my oldest card by many years but just was curious if I could switch easily since I used it yesterday to keep it active.

Message 3 of 7
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for wanting to switch from the Visa to the Amex?

I have both (cash rewards) and find there's very little difference between the two. The USAA American Express only uses the Amex network for processing; it's not a true Amex.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm wrong. There IS a difference: My Visa has a much lower interest rate.

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Method2Madness wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for wanting to switch from the Visa to the Amex?

I have both (cash rewards) and find there's very little difference between the two. The USAA American Express only uses the Amex network for processing; it's not a true Amex.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm wrong. There IS a difference: My Visa has a much lower interest rate.

Ditto

but for me the AmEx card has the 5% cash back on gas so it has become my GAS only card....(also has 2% for groceries and 1% elsewhere)

But again....if you have the 5% back for gas.....you can just use it for gas, get your 5% create usage and all is well but no balances b/c the % is higher than the other USAA cards.

Message 5 of 7
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

You know what? I forgot all about the Amex going as high as 5% on gas! I'm gonna start doing as you do and making it my gas card.

Thanks for the reminder, kind sir. Smiley Happy

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless USAA changes their ways, they do not allow card changes of any kind ... always a hard inquiry as the other posters said. Often wish they would be a little more flexible as I have been a member for a long spell but no luck.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.