cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get Chase card w/ no job?

tag
CountingStars

Can i get Chase card w/ no job?

I just graduated (i'm a dentist) and still have a lot of money saved up from loans. After 9 long years of school, I want to take a 2-3 month break before I start working for the rest of my life. The break will include lots of traveling.

I would love to have the signup bonuses from the Chase cards for the upcoming travel and also keep the cards long term as I want to earn miles/points as well. 

Is there any possible way I can get a credit card from Chase now? I have no idea what I would say/put down for the employment/income.

should i go in a branch and ask?

FWIW my credit profile is thick & clean, and have good/great scores (780s-ish).
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Can i get Chase card w/ no job?

Welcome to the forum! I believe the credit card act doesn't allow them to issue cards without a form of verified income. I don't think savings would be considered. But YMMV

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 40
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I was approved by Citi Bank (Best Buy) a few months ago and I was on worker's comp. Since it's not income or taxable they said I can use my checking and savings dollar amount which is way up there. But as always its a YMMV.

Message 3 of 40
coterotie
Established Contributor

When I was a banker, I specialized in doing this for doctors and lawyers turning them into customers for life.  I am assuming you have been in contact with a few practices about joining them.  I would put down the midpoint of the salaries you have been offered with a start date of 3 months in the future.  If it sails through you're good to go.  If it goes to review then let them know you have $XX in reserve and will be a customer for a long time. 

Message 4 of 40
CountingStars

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

DaBears, I think worker's comp is a valid source of income.

@coterotie wrote:

When I was a banker, I specialized in doing this for doctors and lawyers turning them into customers for life.  I am assuming you have been in contact with a few practices about joining them.  I would put down the midpoint of the salaries you have been offered with a start date of 3 months in the future.  If it sails through you're good to go.  If it goes to review then let them know you have $XX in reserve and will be a customer for a long time. 

That's what I was hoping/thinking of doing, just don't know if it is allowed. I already know my approx. starting salary but I am undecided to which practice I want to work with yet, I won't decide until much later. Therefore, there is no employment address, no valid source of income, etc. I think i will just talk to a banker as this may be a unique situation.

If I do put the midpoint of the salaries with a start date of 3 months in the future, what do i put for employment address? Also, does anyone know at which salary point I put down that requires income verification?

Message 5 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Tbh, I would think its best to app in person so that you can explain your situation. You don't want to write or suggest something that might come back or be perceived as fraudulent. Since it's 2-3 mos, either apply with your banker, local cu or when you have solidified your plans.
Message 6 of 40
CountingStars

@09Lexie wrote:
Tbh, I would think its best to app in person so that you can explain your situation. You don't want to write or suggest something that might come back or be perceived as fraudulent. Since it's 2-3 mos, either apply with your banker, local cu or when you have solidified your plans.

Yeah, probably the best idea. Dont want to raise any flags. Ty. 

Message 7 of 40
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Welcome to the forum! I believe the credit card act doesn't allow them to issue cards without a form of verified income. I don't think savings would be considered. But YMMV

I don't think that is correct.  IIRC the old regulation Z specifically said that if they asked for HH income, then they had to consider additional information such as assets to make a determination of ability to repay.  Haven't looked at the new regulation that closely, but I suspect they can still consider assets in making their determination of ability to pay the debt.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 40
H4LO
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Interesting. When I was talking to CapOne EO, the lady asked for annual income + any assets that could be liquized. In OP's case, if he has money sitting around, technically those are assets that could be liquized. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 9 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@H4LO

My response was to OPs query on what to write down as an employment address
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.