Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling Discover

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Canceling Discover

@j_casteel wrote:
OP, I doubt Discover will do much for retention. You don't use the card much anyway so they could see that as well.

Good Luck

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I live in Santa Barbara, and there are many small businesses here that do not accept Discover. So I rarely use it. 

Message 21 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Discover offers some really good balance transfer options so I wouldn't be so quick to cancel it. Discover is a decent company to have a card with.

What offers have they given you? I never carry a balance on my cards. I run around 5-6k on my personal cards a month. And with the business, that will shoot up to probably 11k. But I always PIF. 

Message 22 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Discover offers some really good balance transfer options so I wouldn't be so quick to cancel it. Discover is a decent company to have a card with.

What offers have they given you? I never carry a balance on my cards. I run around 5-6k on my personal cards a month. And with the business, that will shoot up to probably 11k. But I always PIF. 

Well I had some finanial woes not long ago and I racked up a balance on one of my credit cards. The promo period ended so I had to figure out how to avoid paying a 23% APR on a 4k+ balance. Sooo...already having a Discover card, I checked their BT offers and I had 3 seperate ones depending on the respond date. One was for 13 months at 0% APR with a 3% fee and I accepted it. I don't use my Discover card that often and I've had it since 2012 but I wouldn't close it for any reason. It has great customer service, frequent BT offers (and I mean frequent) and overall pretty decent card to use. I'd use it more often if the Discover network was a bit larger.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 23 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Well I had some finanial woes not long ago and I racked up a balance on one of my credit cards. The promo period ended so I had to figure out how to avoid paying a 23% APR on a 4k+ balance. Sooo...already having a Discover card, I checked their BT offers and I had 3 seperate ones depending on the respond date. One was for 13 months at 0% APR with a 3% fee and I accepted it. I don't use my Discover card that often and I've had it since 2012 but I wouldn't close it for any reason. It has great customer service, frequent BT offers (and I mean frequent) and overall pretty decent card to use. I'd use it more often if the Discover network was a bit larger.

That's awesome. Glad everything worked out. I'll probably call in and just ask if there are any current offers available for my account. And I completely agree, their network is quite small. Specially when traveling abroad, the card is useless lol. 

Message 24 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

That's awesome. Glad everything worked out. I'll probably call in and just ask if there are any current offers available for my account. And I completely agree, their network is quite small. Specially when traveling abroad, the card is useless lol. 

I agree. I go to a lot of places iin SoCal and Discover isn't accepted at many places. It's usually VISA or Mastercard. Sometimes Discover and occasionally AMEX.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.