Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling flights booked with Ultimate Rewards

tag
Blender
Established Contributor

Cancelling flights booked with Ultimate Rewards

I know the general answer is no refunds, but there are conflicting DPs about credits given by the airlines.

-If I try to change through the portal, I have to pay a change fee and if I cancel I just lose the booking.

-If I try to cancel through United, its offering me $248.22 credit.What happens when I hit "cancel trip?" Will I get an error about not being able to do that bc it was booked through a third party?

-I also have another Delta flight I'd like to get credits for.

Alternatively, would I have any different luck calling Chase and getting them to change the flights? It would be to a new destination, a few months later.

Thanks

8/2024

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Cancelling flights booked with Ultimate Rewards

Delta you would get an eCredit good for one year from the date of original ticket purchase.  It doesn't always happen to me, but there may be a $50 reticketing fee since you booked through an OTA.

United you would get the credit for future travel good for one year from the date of original ticket purchase, and it will state you need to contact your travel agent if you actually try to use it.  You can call United to rebook but may also be charged a $50 reticketing fee.

Chase Travel would charge to change the tickets, and hold times can be long.

Rebooking tickets rather than canceling them is easiest.  If you already know the other flights you want, you can just change on Delta or United's website with no fee (just pay the difference in fare) as long as it wasn't a basic economy ticket.  If the new fare is cheaper, Delta will give you an eCredit for the difference; IME United doesn't credit the difference if the new fare is lower.

Message 2 of 3
Blender
Established Contributor

Re: Cancelling flights booked with Ultimate Rewards

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Delta you would get an eCredit good for one year from the date of original ticket purchase.  It doesn't always happen to me, but there may be a $50 reticketing fee since you booked through an OTA.

United you would get the credit for future travel good for one year from the date of original ticket purchase, and it will state you need to contact your travel agent if you actually try to use it.  You can call United to rebook but may also be charged a $50 reticketing fee.

Chase Travel would charge to change the tickets, and hold times can be long.

Rebooking tickets rather than canceling them is easiest.  If you already know the other flights you want, you can just change on Delta or United's website with no fee (just pay the difference in fare) as long as it wasn't a basic economy ticket.  If the new fare is cheaper, Delta will give you an eCredit for the difference; IME United doesn't credit the difference if the new fare is lower.

I probably could have mentioned that they are basic economy tickets and saved you some words lol BUT I appreciate your response, you taught me something for the future. Thanks!

8/2024

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.