Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI

tag
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 CLI

I wish i had good news like YAY I GOT A CLI.... but i dont...

I attempted to get a CLI and got this return message:

This Capital One account is not currently eligible for a credit line increase upon request. We're
reviewing our policy for increasing credit limits. While we do this, we won't be able to offer you
more credit.

Any idea? or is this just some generic "get out of my face" message?

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Cap 1 CLI

I got the same letter today. It had been 6 months since I tried for a CLI. At least that is the only reason. I'd rather the denial be something about them and not me.

Thank you for contacting Capital One® regarding your account. Unfortunately, we cannot approve a
credit line increase for the following reason(s):

This Capital One account is not currently eligible for a credit line increase upon request. We're
reviewing our policy for increasing credit limits. While we do this, we won't be able to offer you
more credit.

blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

I get this message 3 times a year from Cap One with a mailed letter too.

Message 3 of 12
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

It appears as though they went from just saying "no" to everyone to saying "its not you, its me - I'm just not ready".

Funny thing is, they claim they review each customers account throughout the year at random (sort of like a CLI is the lottery) and if you ask "when will it be reviewed" you get the its random...we don't know when it will happen just that it will happen" If you ask "when was the last time you reveiewed my account then?" you just get that it was reviewed just the other week when you requested the CLI.

For some reason I don't think my account was ever reviewed...

Positive note is though, they don't do a HP when you request a CLI anymore - at least for me though I've requested every month and have not had one HP since my origional app for the card.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Capital One softs me several times a month.... Even if you exclude the SP that results from my monthly CLI request haha!

I've gotten that same message... It makes mw wonder about those 'reviews'.... Hmmm... We should complain to the CFPB! Hah.

I just closed a Cap One account last week...they just don't seem to get it. They weren't even remorseful that I closed the account! Ugh!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

So it has nothing to do with their system, its a way of giving me the middle finger behind their back? 

LOL that is absolutely awesome.... gosh!

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 12
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

It really takes way to much for them to give CLI's i dont know if i was just lucky or that i found the magic person that can make it happen but i emailed the CEO at rich.fairbank@capitalone.com and after about a week and a half of back and fourth calls with a very nice lady at the executive office i got a $1000 CLI on my Platinum Mastercard for building/rebuilding.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 7 of 12
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Much work for $1000 CLI to email.

Cap! Is good for building credit and dumping later if your stuck at low limits.

Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@DeadSpider wrote:

Much work for $1000 CLI to email.

Cap! Is good for building credit and dumping later if your stuck at low limits.

+1  Cap 1 is not a card to grow with.   It gets your foot in the door, then you part ways.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

If only I knew then what I know now, I never would've bothered with cap one. I still keep mine active as it is 0 af and second oldest tradeline. 1000 CL hasn't budged since account was opened 4 years ago. There are much better cards out there for those who are new to/building credit. This is especially true for students.

For those rebuilding credit however, Cap One seems viable. Definitely better than first premier types as far as fees go.

The prime cards they offer are a completely different story and aren't applicable in this discussion of course

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.