Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 Savor: Grocery Purchases?

tag
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 Savor: Grocery Purchases?

For the 3% Grocery discount on Cap 1 Savor, any tips on which sites are coded Grocery? ?? Any experience with this? Which vendors work, which don't, also does online order + pickup count?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 Savor: Grocery Purchases?

I dont know if you live in the northeast but i use it regularly for the 3 pct cb at shoprite and Lidl.

It doesnt work for walmart or target grocery.

If i am not sure i make a small purchase at a store and then check my online account to see what it coded as, i was surprised a local bagel takeout coded as dining, you never know.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Agree with the post above, you'll probably have to try and see with restaurants / takeout, it may depend on if your order is routed though a third party or is run directly through.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 13
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

@SUPERSQUIDExactly! (Just saw that and...argh, heartbreak!)

I'm in the Midwest. But was hoping Hyvee didn't fall into the 'no' category. Also just starting to research what will pull up as 'grocery' vs what will not (it's a mystery).

Message 4 of 13
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy items at a dining establishment IN a grocery store, say like the cafe in Whole Foods, you should be covered either way using the Capital One Savor - groceries are a 3% category while dining is a 4% category on the Savor.

That's one of my "tricks" when making purchases at a location that most likely will code as one of two things; if I have a card that provides a higher cash back rate on both possible categories, I use that card at the location.  A few examples:

*Dining at a grocery store cafe/restaurant - use Capital One SavorOne (provides 3% cash back on both dining and groceries)

*Buying food at a sports event, concert, or movie theater - use Capital One SavorOne (provides 3% cash back on both dining and entertainment)

*Dining at a hotel - use Wells Fargo Propel (provides 3% cash back on both dining and travel)

With the last example, the impending Wells Fargo Autograph should work in a similar manner.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 5 of 13
Trini88
Established Contributor

Walmart Online pickup and Delivery counted in June,July and August in 2021 when I had the card and then they changed up their site and it doesn't work anymore. Never tried Target Pickup because I was getting 5% with their card. Online pickup and order counts for the 3%, as for where....don't know because I've only done pickup at those 2 stores I mentioned. 

Goal Cards:
Message 6 of 13
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

So in cases like this I use the lookup tool in the awardwallet app to see what codes as grocery I think there maybe an issue with the associated with cap one savor, but I've found that any grocery purchase on other cards mainly Amex, citi, chase that we're grocery have also worked for cap one savor

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 7 of 13
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

AFAIK, the only stores that don't get the 3% are, as mentioned, Target and Walmart. I also believe that Costco and Sam's Club are excluded as well. Everywhere else I have used the card at a grocery store, I have received the 3% CB. I live in Colorado and I have used the card at Safeway, King Soopers (Kroger family store), Sprouts, and Natural Grocers and have had no issues.

Also, just an FYI on the dining side, I have used my card at several different food trucks and they have all coded as dining and I have received the 3% CB using it there as well.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 8 of 13
delaney1
Established Contributor

There are also nonstandard places that count as grocery as well. For example, I order most of my vitamins from Vitacost and I get 3% back since it codes as grocery. I buy essential oils from a company called Plant Therapy and that counts as grocery too!

Message 9 of 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@righthererightnow  Walmart and Target will not work per Capital Ones web site see footnote 1 on Savor page.  The reason those two will not work is Visa / Mastercard  will code them as a discount store

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.