cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Platinum Secured Upgrade Graduation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Platinum Secured Upgrade Graduation?

My cap one secured plat is my oldest card on file. I’ve eliminated all of my starter cards over the past year. Credit one, verve, and some other card I already forgot the name of all served their purpose in the trash now. Over the past 8 months I’ve collected about 6-7 cards with a combined CL of Aprox 50k .

Like many of us here, I only carry cards with good rewards in my wallet and use the most benifical cards for points when spending. I have 3 cap - cards the venture , QS and this platinum secured card.

I’ve attempted to consolidate my platinum into my QS or Venture and Cap one will not allow me to mix a secure card with non secure. I’ll assume this is because of how these loans are bundled up into investors that back these deals. I also attempted to request a graduate the card to non secure so I can then consolidate it. Nothing. As usual cap one just follow protocol.

I’ve had this card for 3 years + never a late and very very little use the past year. I don’t need it, I don’t want to reduce my uti by 1k by closing it or impact my AAoA but I don’t want this little small CL card on my report as I’m trying to slender my TL to make room for better cards.

Any advice on what I should do? Just close the card? Let it collect dust? Has anybody also had experience with a successful graduation or consolidation of a secured Plat?

Thanks in advance guys!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap One Platinum Secured Upgrade Graduation?

Is it your oldest card? If yes by how long. If not. Dump it since you have better cards. The payment history will stay with you for 10 yrs. Graduate yourself. You'll feel better like the other starters you had.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Platinum Secured Upgrade Graduation?

Closing it in good standing allows FICO to include it in your AAoA calculation. The only thing that would take a hit is your UTI and being a small secured card against your current limits, that would amount to coins in the couch cushions. Go for it.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.