Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One useless at the subprime level

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Cap One useless at the subprime level

Is Capital One a credit card that will close your account if inactive? i recently hit the CLI button on my account with perfect history and it came back with a msg saying 'your current credit score is too low.' Im considering just paying the account off and not using to help with util BUT im wondering if i should just close the account because I dont want them to close it for being inactive. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Cap One useless at the subprime level

@CreditDrama85 wrote:

Is Capital One a credit card that will close your account if inactive? i recently hit the CLI button on my account with perfect history and it came back with a msg saying 'your current credit score is too low.' Im considering just paying the account off and not using to help with util BUT im wondering if i should just close the account because I dont want them to close it for being inactive. 

Have you tried the EO route?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 17
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i tried the EO route about 9 months ago before it was real popular. they denied and gave util as the reason and said i could call back but i havent called. sounded like they were just reading a script

Message 3 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CreditDrama85 wrote:

i tried the EO route about 9 months ago before it was real popular. they denied and gave util as the reason and said i could call back but i havent called. sounded like they were just reading a script

IMHO

If UTL is down try again can't hurt 

Good luck should you try 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If they sounded like they were reading a script it's doubtful it was the true EO. The people frm the EO are very helpful and courteous. I would either get the email from someone here or try their Facebook or Twitter page and message them there.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 17
lithium78
Established Contributor

CapOne is notorious for refusing to give CLIs at the subprime level.  They basically just serve a purpose for people who are trying to build positive payment history.  After a couple of years, when you qualify for prime cards, it's pretty much just a sock drawer card.  I still have my "Platinum" card and I haven't used it in almost three years.  No CLD and they haven't closed it and it continues to help my AAoA.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 17
James82
Regular Contributor

@CreditDrama85 wrote:

I tried the CLI button and was denied as well. A couple weeks later I found the EO email here on myfico and sent an email. Within 2 hours I got a call and had a very good conversation with a rep. She explained that she would get back to me in a day or two and see what options she could get me. She verified some info, asked what CLI I wanted and I told her I wanted rewards as well.

A day later I checked my account, got a $2k increase (Had a $2k limit) and she added %1.5 rewards. I was a bit bummed I didn't get over the $5k (I asked for $10k) so I don't get a quick silver card but at least I get rewards...... She called that same day I checked to tell me the news. I told her I had hoped for a higher limit and she told me to call back in 3 months and she'd see what she could do to get me over $5k. It was a soft pull as well.

Starting Score: EQ 574 - 08.28.13
High Score: EQ 714 (10/18/13) EX 686 (1/6/14) TU 664 (1/6/14)
Current Score: EQ 686 - EX ____- TU ____

Message 7 of 17
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

it WAS the true EO. i went the email route and they called me and added rewards to my card but no CLI. i was just curious because its one of my oldest accounts with a spotless history. Good to know yours has been inactive for 3yrs and not closed. Its annoying that other rebuilders will give CLI with less history and Cap One will NOT after years. Though the fees might be higher with other cards, a higher CL is a matter of conveince especially for people that travel and PIF.

Message 8 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't close a card preemptively because they might close it for inactivity.  No big deal if they close it for inactivity.  Even if it gets listed as closed by credit grantor, that really doesn't matter.  I have 7 or 8 accounts that were closed by credit grantor and it has never been an issue in getting approved for anything.  When my scores were low, that was why I couldn't get approved.  And now that they have recovered, no one has ever mentioned those remarks in the comments section.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

I wasnt sure if the comment mattered.  but very True

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.