Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1: combine, cli and pc - which order

tag
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

Cap1: combine, cli and pc - which order

Wife has three cap1 cards, all platinum I believe, all over a year old with no problems with payment history. Scores high 600s/low7s.

I told her about combining and product changes and she wants to do that bc she has too many cards.

Wondering which order she should do it and if she’ll to wait six months between the moves.

I’d think cli on each card first. If she does that can she still combine em immediately or does she need to wait six months due to the clips?

Can she combine all three in one day or must she wait six months after the first combine?

Then she wants to upgrade the one she’s left with to QS or Savor. Does she have to wait to do that after clis or combines?

Anyone know the order she should do this in and whether she’s gonna have to wait between any of the steps?
Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1: combine, cli and pc - which order

Cli first, then combine. I did not have to wait between steps. 

Message 2 of 4
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

2nd Jag73 here,  I just did a successful CLI on 2 Capital One cards, then combined the accounts with no issue.

Message 3 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

3rd! Yes, go for the CLIs first. A combination will reset the 6 month clock for CLI requests. I have since closed my last CO card, but I was able to combine 4 cards into 1 within a few minutes a couple of years ago. (Two small CapOne cards that I couldn’t combine about 12 years earlier since one was Visa and one was MasterCard, and two cards they purchased from other lenders.)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.