cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 refused to waive their annual fee on Quicksilver. Should I close account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 refused to waive their annual fee on Quicksilver. Should I close account?

Well, I called Cap1's "backdoor number" to request the $39 fee be waived on my Quicksilver card. They refused. I asked to escalate to a supervisor, he refused as well. I've had this card since 2016. Its the first credit card I was approved for post CH7. I use it often for the 1.5% cashback, but I am getting sick of this annual fee, especially since all of my other cards do not charge one.

I have a CL of 3,500. I never keep a balance on it because I pay it off immediately once a transaction posts. Cap1 definitely has the best app. They make it so easy to pay up to 3 times a day, and the cashback is available instantly, unlike some of my other non cap1 cards that make you wait until the end of the month to redeem it.

I have 2 other Cap1 cards with 0 balances, no AF:
Savor 1: 1k CL/2% back at restaurants and grocery stores and 1% back on everything else
Journey: 4K CL/ 1.5 cashback on everything as long as I pay it off every statement period--which I do when I actually use it.

I also have a Synchrony MC with a 0 balance, no AF: 2k CL/2% cashback on everything; however, I have to wait until the end of every statement period and it gets automatically credited to my balance. And they have no app, which isn't a huge issue as I just log into my account on my phone browser.

I have a couple other cards as well all with 0 balances and no AF: Amazon, Paypal credit, etc.

Should I just cancel this Quicksilver card? Paying this AF every year for the last 4 years has really annoyed me. The only reason I see to keep it open is because how long I've had it, but my Journey card was also opened around that time.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap1 refused to waive their annual fee on Quicksilver. Should I close account?

I'm assuming there's no offer of product changing the QS1 to the QS?

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 refused to waive their annual fee on Quicksilver. Should I close account?

That really is a personal choice. That said, I closed mine for this exact same reason. There's no reason to pay an AF on an SD'd card, especially on one without a decent rewards program. If you're not seeing any benefit then close it. Considering you have two other CapOne cards without a fee, it seems the logical choice. 

It should still remain on you your CR for ten years, so there won't be an immediate loss of any pints etc. If that's your concern.

Plus it seems you have plenty of other beneficial credit cards, so the loss of this one will not matter in the grand scheme.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I am not sure. Is this something I can call customer service and ask? I can say neither of these "backdoor" employees offered me anything except an "I'm sorry".
Message 4 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, I am not sure. Is this something I can call customer service and ask? I can say neither of these "backdoor" employees offered me anything except an "I'm sorry".

Try this link and see what offer you get. Can also call customer service and see what they have for you if anything

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Try this link and see what offer you get. Can also call customer service and see what they have for you if anything

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

And if that doesn't work, certainly close.  IMO, an annual fee is "real money" and you should be getting something tangible back.  In this sort of case, you are paying for no gain except for some possible score advantage in the distant future (when the scoring algorithms could be very different anyway)

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Wow, that worked, thanks-- followed that link, logged in and accepted the offer to upgrade. It appears same card, same 1.5% cashback, but just no AF. It makes me wonder why the sneaky customer service reps... didn't even mention that this was an optuon. Guess they really need that $39 every year.

I'd give you 10 kudos if I could.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s a personal choice. If you’re not happy then close it.
I have that card and they just increased my CL on it. I actually don’t mind the fee since it’s only $39 with CL $2250 versus day credit one $95 AF 300 limit.

Again all personal choice.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Cap One's website and App better than PayPal's but not nearly enough to sacrifice 0.5% on every purchase. And the annual fee means the first $1950 of spend earns nothing.

$500 of spend per month earns you $51 over a year on your QS and $120 on paypal. Make it $1000 and it's $141 vs $240.

My No-fee QS is locked and sock-drawered. If I didn't have one already the only reason I'd consider getting one now is for an SUB or no-interest offer. 

(Note: written before I read you got the product change. But the advice still applies for anyone else in your situation and even with no fee, you're losing 50 cents on every hundred dollars you spend over one of your other cards)

Message 9 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 wrote:

wrote:

Wow, that worked, thanks-- followed that link, logged in and accepted the offer to upgrade. It appears same card, same 1.5% cashback, but just no AF. It makes me wonder why the sneaky customer service reps... didn't even mention that this was an optuon. Guess they really need that $39 every year.

I'd give you 10 kudos if I could.

Congratulations on your upgrade!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.