Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 venture one card limit question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 venture one card limit question

So I got a new capital one venture one card. Signed up about 2 weeks ago. Got it in the mail a week ago and have been using it for groceries, gas and bills. As soon as the stuff posts and they give me the balance I pay it off. Well I only got a $1000 limit and I was planning on paying for my house heating oil with it that is $900 next week so I could definitely meeting the minimum spending for bonus points. I’m a little worried that I won’t have enough limit with pending purchases to cover the fuel for $900. I guess once I pay the rest of my balance this week, I’ll have to stop using it on my every day stuff until after my fuel purchase posts and I pay that balance.

I was just thinking, even though increases should be every six months and it’s very new, I thought about calling the company and asking if i could add maybe another $500 to the limit? I’m thinking they probably won’t go for it though.
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 venture one card limit question

Unfortunately, it's unlikely they will approve a CLI that soon given you just got approved.

What you can do is check with them to see if they can allow a partial or temporary over the limit consideration for any upcoming transactions. Worse case scenario is they say no.
Message 2 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You can pay 110% of your balance.

In other words, if you owe $800 you can pay $880 and end up with -$80.

Just type in $2000 payment and it will tell you the max payment acceptable.

You can also make a payment many times per month.

Pay it off, charge it, pay it off, charge it, etc.

I would pay the 110% giving you over $1000 available then charge your bill, not use your card until the charge hits, pay it off 110% and then resume normal charging.

Also, why cant you pay the oil company early $500 then pay it off then pay the rest before it was originally due?

You can request a CLI online without a HP!

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It won’t allow me to pay any extra than what is posted as balance. I should have the balance available when I get the oil I just can’t use it until then. I wanted to use the card for the oil to get all the points and minimum spend limit. I don’t want to divide the payment up or the oil delivery as I save money by getting a large amount of oil at once. Thanks for your advice though. I may just end up calling them. Can’t hurt.
Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You talking about the Venture One? Most Ventures are NSPL and start at 5k. Charge and pay as they said.

Message 5 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It won’t allow me to pay any extra than what is posted as balance. I should have the balance available when I get the oil I just can’t use it until then. I wanted to use the card for the oil to get all the points and minimum spend limit. I don’t want to divide the payment up or the oil delivery as I save money by getting a large amount of oil at once. Thanks for your advice though. I may just end up calling them. Can’t hurt.

I dont understand why you can not pay more than your balance.  I do it all the time when I have pending charges.  I have negative balances often when my statement cuts.  110% is the ceiling.

If you go to make a payment and your balance is $500, type in $2000 and it will tell you the most you can pay is $550.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 7
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

If you overpay by submitting a payment through your bank - not through CapOne's site or app, you can exceed your limit, then use the card.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.