Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Direct Mail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Direct Mail

I have always been interested in direct mail - more over I have also been amused at how much mail I received from one company in particular, Capital One.  Exactly 12 months ago I decided to perform a little test.  Every time I received a piece of correspondence (pre-approval, bank offer, etc.) I put it aside.  You may be interested in knowing how many different pieces of my mail arrived at the house addressed to either myself or my wife from Sept 2006 - today.

Drumroll please............................................70 envelopes in one year!

I have them rubberbanded and stacked - thought I may do something creative with them. 

Any thoughts out there?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cgmiller63
Contributor

Re: Capital One Direct Mail

Send them back to the sender with postage due Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you send them back,  mold them all into a paper mache' donkey. Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No wonder I have not gotten any CLI from them in the past year. Appears that they have used it towards your postage!!!!

Cathy

Message Edited by Watson1225 on 09-10-2007 05:30 PM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's funny but really - there are like 60 "pre-approval" letters here.  I am thinking of sending back the business reply envelopes empty.
Message 5 of 10
John060675
Valued Contributor

I wonder what percentage of the rain forest they destroy each year with the volume they send.  Yikes!

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what really hurts them ( in terms of direct mail ) is when you don't respond. They keep sending and you don't respon...they get angry and persistent and send more mail. You don't respond. Thay are hurt. They pay for printing, postage, design, list, blah blah blah. they can send me all they want. i will never sign up for any of their stuff.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would make for an good article about how much these credit companies "care" for us.  They care so much form me and my wife that they write us more than once a week.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

____________________________________________________________________________________
daWorm wrote:

You may be interested in knowing how many different pieces of my mail arrived at the house addressed to either myself or my wife from Sept 2006 - today.

Drumroll please............................................70 envelopes in one year!

I have them rubberbanded and stacked - thought I may do something creative with them.

Any thoughts out there?
____________________________________________________________________________________

<i>Only </i>70? LOL

If I had to guess, I would say my wife and I easily get 300+ CC offers yearly, based upon a conservative estimate of 6 weekly.

WaMu alone is probably good for 70 of those. The amazing thing is we both have Cap1 and HSBC accounts and those two companies continue to flood us.

As for what to do with the junk mail.... Personally, if I consider the CC offer to be an insult, such as those with monthly account fees, program fees, etc., I process them as what I call a "trash return".

I remove all the identifying info and send them back. They have to pay business reply rate for a non-application. It wastes the CC company's time opening them and helps keep our postal rates from going up.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 envelope stuffers remain busy, but they ain't alone.

The CC industry mails out more than five billion pre-approved letters a year totalling $350K in credit offered to each family. Given that some people choose to Opt Out, the numbers are actually even higher.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.