cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card - Fraud Department

tag
tp2013

Capital One Secured Card - Fraud Department

I applied and was accepted for this card and made my deposit about 10 days ago.  Got a call this morning from 800-239-7054 and they said they were from the fraud department and wanted to get my bank on the phone and verify accounts.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Seems very suspicious to me.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Card - Fraud Department

I think this happens to everyone eventually. I had to do it twice.

Message 2 of 8
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Happened to me a few years back. Its irritating to have to call your bank and have someone from half a world away listen to your account details...etc. I know they have access to my SS and address, but still... It is legit, for better or worse. Be prepared to talk to the equivalent of a scripted computer from India. lol 

Message 3 of 8
wonderandawe
Valued Member

I have had this happen twice with the same bank account.  It is very frustrating as I could only get it cleared up during bank business hours.  

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013
Message 4 of 8
tp2013

What was the issue?  The money came out of my account 2 weeks ago and shows posted and paid.  

Message 5 of 8
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but it happened to me once when I increased my credit line by adding to the deposit (it was probably my third time adding to my security deposit) and then again when I used the wrong checking account to make my payment and it was returned. They must have some special computer alorithm to help reduce fraud.

Message 6 of 8
vish1
Valued Contributor

@jmcmillan wrote:

I think this happens to everyone eventually. I had to do it twice.

Not everyone. Never happened to me.

Offcourse things like this or Amex FR must be really frustrating.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 8
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

OK, maybe not literally everyone, but I think many people do go through this "security" measure. Basically, I was trying to say it's not unusal.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.