cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card - How to Unsecure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured Card - How to Unsecure?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My answer is don't worry about it, and go on about getting great rewards cards form other companies. Stick the CapOne in a sock drawer, maybe throw a Netflix sub on it or use it every once in again to keep it open if you care. Or don't and cancel it.

CapOne doesn't seem interested in taking good customers that start with their secured card and turning them into heavy long-term Capital One users. They are more interested in being a building block for you to go on and be a heavy user of other cards from other companies. So, that's what you should do.

Not true at all.  I'm not sure what people on here don't get about their secured product.  They want you to close it once you've established your credit a bit and apply for an unsecured card.  They will even tell you that on the phone or in chat.  It's a secured card that probably won't unsecure.  Take it for what it is, and then move on to a Platinum, and quickly PC it to a QS.  That's all there is to it.  I for one am a good customer who started with their secured card and became a heavy long-term Capital One user, and there are many, many others on this forum who could say the same.

You know, I say I don't quite get what CapOne is trying to accomplish, but anecdotally, it seems to be clearly working. I work in a restaurant, and of all the credit cards I see people using (and I pay attention to who's using what), it's CapOne by quite a margin.

80% of people use debit. Of the rest, the Platinum is probably the card I see the most (this is not a high end restaurant by any means), followed by the Quicksilver. After that, it's probably Discover and some Bank of America (a few Cash Rewards and Travel Rewards). I've seen only one person each using a Citi DC, Chase Freedom, CFU, Sapphire, and Chase Amazon. I see as many First Premier cards as Chase/Citi cards (again, not a high end restaurant).

Anyway, very anecdotal, but CapOne probably doesn't need me telling them how to run their business. Obviously, it's working, and I agree that clearly the goal for them is for people to close the secured card and apply for a long-term card.

And that plan probably makes sense for the vast majority of people. My bet is that the vast majority of people here aren't nerds about this stuff like us. To me, waiting 12-24 months to put a good card in someone's hands seems like a really long time (for me, they lost me forever after waiting 6 months), but for most people that timeline probably makes sense. 

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already had my secured card longer than I probably really needed to (17 months at the end of this month). I have four other unsecured cards by now including Discover It with a total revolving credit line of $11.2k and my FICO scores are raising slowly but steadily so that I expect to have pretty good prospects of getting another good rewards card (a Visa, preferably) in the fall. I've more or less made up my mind to pay down my existing secured balance to where I can BT it to my Discover (which has the intro 0% on BT's good for another 10 months or so) without hurting my overall utilization, then close the secured Platinum, get my deposit back and then see if I can get a QS from Capital One - I got my unsecured Platinum in February so I think I can apply for another Cap One card as soon as August.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I got a secured card in Jan 2017 at a $1,200 SL. In Mar I noticed a link in my account for requesting a CLI, but when I clicked it, the system told me that secured customers were not allowed to ask for CLI.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

They'll give you a $300 bump in about 6 months and then that'll be all you'll ever get. You won't be able to PC it or combine it either. It's a builder. When you get better cards, you can close this and they refund your deposit via check.
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you request the cli by using the luv bottom or by calling? Did it incur a HP?

Message 25 of 29
Melisaw24

Don't give up - After 3 years , my capitalone scured card just upgraded today to unsecured Platinium Mastercard. 

Starting Score: 589EQ 567EX 601TU
4/2017
Current Score:
666EQ 624EX 684TU
Goal Score: 700

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why'd it take so long? Mine flipped at 6 months...
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

You must be doing something right if it converted at 6 months!

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just followed the rules... They even gave me a little 300 bump, congratulated me on being a wonderful customer then never let me do anything with it. No CLI's, no product changes, no combining it with another CapOne card, no APR reductions... Nothing. After a while, I just closed it.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.