cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured card UNSECURED at 11mths old!!

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Capital One Secured card UNSECURED at 11mths old!!

Hey guys don't give up , it's happening, we woke up this morning to an email from Cap One saying our secured card has been UNSECURED! ! YAY it's not even a year old yet. I will give a few data pts , we have used the card lots , it only had a CL of 200 when we first opened it , we had to put the entire 200 down bc that was bf any of our negatives had been removed or paid so it was bad back then . They raised the limit after our 6 statement cut to 500 CL . Now all of our negative stuff is gone from our reports , just tons of new accts and inquiries from 2016. OK so at first we would make several payments in one Month bc the CL was only 200 so we would use it up , pay in full several times . Once it got the CLI to 500 we started making one payment a mth paying in full , there was a couple mths during the holidays that we didn't pay it all the way off but we ALWAYS PAID ATLEAST 5X minimum payment .

So hope this gives you guys some hope , it is gonna happen hopefully soon, I was not even expecting this at all right now , I figured it would take more time . I tried for a CLI being it's unsecured but I forgot that the credit steps counts as an increase. So we won't be due another one for 2 mths. I am gonna get on chat and see if we can combine cards or upgrade to QS . Thanks everyone one this forum saved our credit and we have learned so so much from everyone here . Thank you all!!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured card UNSECURED at 11mths old!!

Congrats! Happy for your progress!
Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to Fico! Aduke! On to bigger and better things my friendSmiley Happy Best way to wake up too lolSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks you guys !!
Message 4 of 15
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'm jealous but that's great news for you!!
Message 5 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry , I'm hoping alot more ppl will have thier ccs unsecured very very soon!! I feel really bad bc I have read some threads where ppl have had their secured cards for years , those are the ones that should be first. I never expected it to happen so soon for us that's for sure . Anyways hooe you get that email soon!
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied and was approved for my secured card in February 2016(they approved me for $200, with a $200 deposit, but I gave them $300 instead, to make my limit a little higher. $300 deposit, $300 limit). In August 2016 they doubled my credit limit to $600 without requiring any more money for a deposit.  In January 2017 they completely unsecured the card and refunded my $300 deposit, but my limit remained the same: $600.00. As of right now, I'm three days away from the closing date of my 12th billing cycle(March 10th) and I'm excited/nervous to see what's going to happen on March 10th(When my 13th billing cycle begins). I have used my card extremely heavily this month. Charged a total of $2,000 on the card(by using it almost daily, and paying it off multiple times), and made multiple payments on my account to completely clear the balance before my billing cycle closes. I really hope I see an increase!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,so the common theme here is that, like many times with coroparate NONSENSE, it seems that at whatever point Cap-1

Changed how they wanted to treat secured cards they did.....for the accounts at that point and moving FORWARD

Meaning those accounts generated prior are stuck in no man's land for the most part....this nonsense happens all the time with big slow to kove companies

they won't GO BACK and re-code or do what needs to be done for past/CURRENT customers/card holders etc just from when they did the revamp

It's like the cable company in reverse Spectrum took over TW...the new stuff bites but lucky for me they will allow me to stay with the grandfathered pricing and programming until the moment I 'upgrade' otherwise.... what CAN'T be done for the new clients is still being done for those that were on 'this' system before...I get channels and speeds they are charging like $30-$40 more for now, my boxes are 20% less etc

Now it seems Cap-1 is doing the same thing...the relatively newer accounts are on a different track than the older ones....Congrats to those on the newer system but it makes ZERO sense to 'graduate' relatively new clients when they are hoarding my money and probably MILIONS in funds from others....wait I may have just stumbled onto why my almost 2 year old account hasn't gotten sent back a check yet hmmmm

I and others kept these accounts for simple aging as the 'little' CL is laughable compared to other credit approvals, including their own QS and/or Venture accounts at Siggy and WE levels yet there are millions, yeah millions of accounts not worthy of graduation from 100's of CL

It's about the **bleep** CASH with regard to the on deposit funds, likely regard stock value son of witch the more I type the worse this ish ticks me off

I get it now ...hadn't thought about it other than slow as non moving big red tape company but as I type I think wait it's aboutthe darn stock value as related to the money

being held on account...

It's CRYSTAL CLEAR they WILL NOT go back and just wholeheartly unsecure those past accounts on merit Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy not with that CASH on file with it's ability to both earn % and to be seen as an asset on paper that ain't gonna happen

They've made a changed in how the newer product will act, sorta how Credit One has seemed to want change their stripes but in classic fashion the prior existing client is going be waiting for a bus that ain't scheduled to stop in that neighborhood anymore......

We have now seen too much evidence, at least I have that obviously this change happened sometime maybe mid 2016 and anybody prior to that is left kickin' rocks

Same thing happen, when I 1st got the darn card they STOPPED charging the AF the very next month, I say hey I just paid this fee respectfully you just stopped charging it please waive mine

Sir we CAN'T yada yada...after blasting ok we'll waive half, the AF came up atthe one year mark, had to do the same thing rant to get it waived vs them just NOT charging like EVERY account 1 month younger than mine.....this is the same thing

The younger accounts are andwillbe coded and treated differently and the older ones are ROCKS, that won't grow, can't be added to and most likely will NOT be sent deposits back either.

There can be NO logical credible reason to graduate (no offense) barely a year or younger 'new' credit accounts then stand STUPID on well vetted mature established accounts other than plain ole GREED!!!!!

Frankly, I kinda forget I have that $550 anchor card that serves ZERO purpose as it's only a few months older than the 5k QS card that the same company gave me again a few months later as a $500 QS1...so we're saying that a profile you see fit to extend 5k to is also NOT GOOD ENOUGH to unsecure $550 0f which $250 is my money c'mon

Not to mention the other vendors that have given upwards of 25k and no less than 5k since it's now too OBVIOUS what the deal is...it's the money honey

Wow I can't believe I haven't been ticked off earlier over this issue but when @Rachel (my late grandma's name btwSmiley Happy) gave stats that said August to January to unsecure..4 freaking months...it's like WAIT A MINUTE...GIMME MY FREAKING CASH, You schmuck I see what's going on, at least kiss me 1st

These guys would have been better off adding unsecure credit to our older accounts, that way they'd make us forget about the little cash tied up because you could say 'hey forget about the few 100, my limit is XX thousand now ...I'll just let it go and look at it as sunk cost but to further INSULT us with leaving the accounts at immovable crap level CLs it exposes the nonsense that much more blatantly....may as well send a SUCKER selfie with a pic of the millions their holding hostage.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well congrats!! I'm happy to hear Cap1 is finally doing this. Unfortunately for me this is occurring after I closed my account. 

I opened my secured card with Cap1 in 2012. By 2016 my scores improved significantly and  I  moved onto bigger and better reward credit cards. I called Cap1 a few times about unsecuring this card or rolling the credit limit into one of my newly approved Cap1 cards and I was told no. So I ended up cancelling the card because I wanted my deposit back. 

Message 9 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I dont blame you , we were just about to close this one too at the one year mark but it got unsecured bf that . One thing I have heard is that even tough they unsecured I hear the limit is likely to never grow , guess we will hold on to it for a bit and see
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.