cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One-Statement, payments, Utilization?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One-Statement, payments, Utilization?

I just recieved my first two credit cards. Capital One QuickSilver One (0% apr for 12 mo) and Platinum. I am currently in the rebuilding stages and my main goal with these cards is to increase my FICO score. I am currently sitting in the high 500's-low 600's and would like to be in the 700's across the board with in the year. I have read so many post on how to use credit cards and seen many dis agreeing post on how to use the card for utilization, CLI, etc. I understand that you want to build your CL up and keep your utilization low but in order to have the CLI you need to actually USE your card and use it frequently. I also understand the most important varible of all this is PIF every month but is it ever okay to carry over a balance on the Quicksilver One (0%apr). I am needing someone to dumb it down for me on what I need to spend on each card & when I need to pay it. I have not used either card yet. I used online chat to speak to a rep on when my statement generates and when my bill is due and for BOTH cards my statement generates on 10/19 and my bill is due 11/16. I understand this will be the same dates for each month. Can someone please advice me if it is okay spend the max CL each month (for the CLI), which date I should PIF by, and what balance should I keep reporting on each card, etc. ANY advice would be appreciated, all these post on this topic is giving me a head ache, lol. I thought it would be best to post asking advice on my particular dates Smiley Happy  Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One-Statement, payments, Utilization?

If you want the lowest utilization possible you PIF before 10/19 so the balance reports $0.  If you are looking for CLIs right now and don't NEED the score boost from you utilizaion, you can take advantage of the 0% APR for a little while and not hurt your chances at a CLI as long as you are not going to request a CLI with over 50% utilization or so.  If you are about maxing out the benefit of utilization on your FICO score, you need at least 3 revolving trade lines.  2 of them you pay off before the statement date so that they show $0 on the report.  The third you let a very small balance ($2-3) report by paying all but that amount before the statement cuts.  I hope this answered your question.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One-Statement, payments, Utilization?

Remember, Utilization has no memory, so don't beat yourself up if one month you have utilization. Just pay it down the next month and your scores will jump back up.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.