Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One "Builder Program" Credit Card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One "Builder Program" Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:
This sounds like a wonderful program, especially if it is elegible for CLIs later on, or can be PCed. The delayed reporting can be annoying, but I understand that this can work well for people who make mistakes--if someone is bad with credit, they will usually show signs of it within the first months.

If they make a mistake within the first few months, C1 will close it, and it won't even report as having existed--that person will only have 3 inquiries to show for, which to other creditors can just look like a denial, which is less bad than negative information, or outstanding balance without CL padding for utilization. It's basically a card to give people with limited income a chance to prove themselves.

/Sigh. Now if only they came out with a prime MasterCard product. I like Capital One, as they treat my parents very well, but I don't want a wallet with just Visas...

+1

At one time they used to offer me a low-APR 'Platinum' MasterCard, but now that's no longer offered... only Visa cards (Venture and QS).  It's almost as if they are relegating their MasterCard branded accounts to sub-prime offerings.

Strangely, I know of several banks who now only offer Visa cards, or which are actually changing their existing MasterCard accounts over to Visa (USAA).  Changing an entire catalog of accounts can't be cheap, so obviously there's a financial incentive to do so. 

I'm like you, though... I like to have a mix.  The last card I added (and the last I plan on getting for a while) was a MasterCard, and I made that choice knowing that I'll likely be closing (combining) my Capital One MasterCard in the coming months.  I know that it usually doesn't matter, but for those handful of times it does I like having both.  Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG, THANK YOU!!! SO MUCH for sharing this! My husband has not been able to get approved for ANYTHING and did not want to go the secured route. Just applied and he was approved!!!

if you dont mind me asking what's your husbands scores look like? I'm interested in applying but scared to be a guinea pig and get denied ha

Message 32 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if this is the rumored new product we were hearing about?
Message 33 of 102
jacetx
Valued Contributor

I hope it's not
Message 34 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm incredibly inclined to believe that it is. It fits the description: entering the market in the Fall, it's definitely a "game-changer" (seriously, nothing out there is like it. It taps a severely underserved market and will likely win long term loyalty,) and it's something people actively interested in credit and cards would notice. Unfortunately it's not a prime product so it's not the sexy, fun thing we all hoped for. I don't remember anything being said about it being a prime product, just those 3 descriptors. But sometimes the memory gets fuzzy. (Being 30 is hard ;P)
Message 35 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking it is the shiny new rumoured product myself. If Cap One will allow people who graduate this to PC into a QS or something later on, they'd probably have some major loyalty going on after this.

Time will tell. We will see.
Message 36 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

A great find OP!  I wonder what it would take, as somebody Coiledvipers mentioned previously, to make this a sticky in "Rebuilding Your Credit"?  

Message 37 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A great find OP!  I wonder what it would take, as somebody Coiledvipers mentioned previously, to make this a sticky in "Rebuilding Your Credit"?  

Not sure - guess a mod would have to opt for it. 

There is a thread in Rebuilding about this card also and I posted the link to this one in there because a couple people had mentioned approvals in this thread before that thread started and people were asking, but I'm not sure if a combination into megathread status or a sticky would be the better option.  Who knows.

Message 38 of 102
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

I saw this card, a week and a half ago, super late night and tried to get my friend to sign up the next day and I couldnt find the link anywhere or info on the card anywhere on the web. I thought I was crazy!!!!!! It still does not show up on there website for me, but the posted links work. I think this is a great idea from Capital One, and very low risk for them. I went throught Capital One using the secured route with 50 bucks down and 200 cl. But this a better option, and for people who dont necessary have the extra money to put into a secured card, this is a fantastic way to kickstart their credit, its only 100 bucks cl, but the end goal is far worth it in my view. I admit Im biased to Capital One, due to my wonderful experience with them, but I feel that they cover all spectrums of credit pretty well in my opinion, and by far the most relaxed bank. Smiley Happy

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 39 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG, THANK YOU!!! SO MUCH for sharing this! My husband has not been able to get approved for ANYTHING and did not want to go the secured route. Just applied and he was approved!!!

if you dont mind me asking what's your husbands scores look like? I'm interested in applying but scared to be a guinea pig and get denied ha

His TU score was 502 at time of approval, I know this because he had just been denied the day before for the BP gas card and they emailed him a denial message stating his score. This will be his first card ever, but he has collections from an apartment and utilities that we have to clear up.

Message 40 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.