Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one mad ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one mad ?

I recently closed 3 capital one cards that were bucketed. 1 of which was the Walmart MasterCard. I was against capital one getting that account. I did keep my quicksilver with capital one though. Prior to closing these accounts I had pre qualify on their website for the high end cards. The venture , venture one , savor and savor one. Since I closed the accounts it shows pre qualify for quicksilver one , and platinum. These are the cards I closed with them. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with them ? Nothing else changed in my reports and lowest fico score is in the 720's. Just seems kind of odd and looking for any data points anyone may have.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one mad ?

I have no data points, but have you tried checkinig different things on the pre-qual form for what type of rewards you're interested in to see if that changes anything?

Also, perhaps an incognito window?

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't attempted to change anything. I will give that a shot super quick. I don't want another card with them at this time. I just replaced those 3 cards with the citi double cash , and a second discover it cash back. Thanks for the reply , as I thought it was really weird.

Message 3 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

I never was pre-approved for my Venture years ago.  If you really want one of those cards and don't mind a 3 pull, apply.

My scores back then were lower, I think about 690s or so and was approved for $17k and you do have a history with them.  

Don't worry about pre-approvals, the only pre-approval I had was my CSR in a branch app. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't attempted to change anything. I will give that a shot super quick. I don't want another card with them at this time. I just replaced those 3 cards with the citi double cash , and a second discover it cash back. Thanks for the reply , as I thought it was really weird.

Should of taken a $500 SUB w/ a venture card and closed after a year for payback the way they treated you.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Redpat , I will always have gratitude for capital one as they gave me a chance to prove myself. However , my profile outgrew those cards. I'm not willing to cold app with them and take a triple pull. I have cards That do grow now. I will be keeping my quicksilver with capital one to show my respect to them.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep your QS if its rewards serve you well, not for respect for past approvals. I can promise you they don't care about that. We are all just account numbers to the banks, and will be cut loose if we no longer meet their desires profile-wise, just like we cut them loose when they no longer meet our needs. It's all business, zero sentiment.

Message 7 of 14
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

Capital One pre-approved me for a Venture over the summer. It was a card I have had before, and wanted again, but the timing wasn't right. A few weeks later, Capital One closed down a Platinum card I held with them since 2011 because it hadn't been used in years. It was my oldest card so it caused my FICO score to drop from roughly 750 to 710. I still have two other Capital One cards. Fast-forward to November when I was finally ready to get the Venture. But I was no longer pre-qualified. I applied for it anyway and was denied due to "too many new accounts." I hadn't opened any other personal credit card accounts in 2019 (only two Amex business cards), and I opened up three other cards (two Amex and one Barclays) in 2018. I suspect I was no longer pre-qualified and later denied either because my score went down when Cap One closed the Platinum, or because it decided I didn't use their cards enough. Or maybe for all of these reasons. 

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 8 of 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

The Quicksilver One and Platinum are the only cards I get preapproved for as well. And this is with scores in the low 800's. Been this way for years.  I don't let it bother me too much though.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with them ?

Sorta, yeah. Late in 2018 I was interested in the SavorOne. I've had a bucketed Platinum card for 15+ years.. I tried the prequal and got the basic cards. Cold-apped for SavorOne and they gave a $20k limit, the highest starting limit I've had to date. ~760 FICO, ~15% uti at that time, clean file.

This was around the same time that they seemed to be handing out $10k to $30k limits like candy for Savor/Venture.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.